Island in focus: New airport begins service
The Jakarta Post
MATARAM: Flight service in Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara, has now shifted from Selaparang with the inaugural operation of Lombok International Airport on Saturday.
The airport is located in Pujut district, Central Lombok, about 40 kilometers from the provincial capital of Mataram.
The opening day of operation was marked by the landing of a Garuda Boeing 737-800 JR. Among 168 passengers was the governor’s entourage who traveled from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Jakarta.
Thousands of well-wishers formed a cordon by the airport.
“Selaparang was officially closed on Sept. 30. The inauguration of the new airport will be conducted by the President [Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono], tentatively at the end of this month,” said I Ketut Erdy Nuka, the general manager of operator PT Angkasa Pura I.
- Convenient confusion: Indonesia's incorporation of international law
- Doctor Strange is not Sherlock with magic, says Benedict Cumberbatch
- Govt to allow nickel ore, bauxite exports under new rules
- Leessang’s Kang Gary to leave ‘Running Man’
- Myanmar most generous country in the world
- Indonesia up 15 places in Ease of Doing Business index
- Govt foils attempts to smuggle Rp 33.15b worth lobster seeds
- Indonesia-Australia continue to strengthen cooperation: Bishop
- KPPU continues investigation into XL, Indosat for alleged cartel behavior
- Ahok officially transfers office to acting governor