Island in focus: New airport begins service
The Jakarta Post
MATARAM: Flight service in Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara, has now shifted from Selaparang with the inaugural operation of Lombok International Airport on Saturday.
The airport is located in Pujut district, Central Lombok, about 40 kilometers from the provincial capital of Mataram.
The opening day of operation was marked by the landing of a Garuda Boeing 737-800 JR. Among 168 passengers was the governor’s entourage who traveled from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Jakarta.
Thousands of well-wishers formed a cordon by the airport.
“Selaparang was officially closed on Sept. 30. The inauguration of the new airport will be conducted by the President [Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono], tentatively at the end of this month,” said I Ketut Erdy Nuka, the general manager of operator PT Angkasa Pura I.
- Sari Roti under fire after denying involvement in 212 rally
- Dahlan caused Rp 11b in state losses: Prosecutors
- Fintech world and new styles in payment
- Military denies internal split over treason arrests
- Police in hunt for another suspect in treason case
- Swiss doctor dies after diving in Bunaken
- Former minister Dahlan tried for corruption
- Indonesia invited to speak frankly about Rakhine
- AGO prepares interfaith prosecuting team for Ahok’s trial
- Baby trafficking syndicate busted in Medan