Papua councilors recommend revision in local election system
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Politicians have called for elections in Papua to revert a parliamentarian system, out of fears that the current direct voting system, while more democratic, may trigger social violence.
“Many people have fallen as casualties in the lead-up to the elections in several regencies in Papua. I call from the respected [legislative] council for the violence to be brought to an end,” Papua Leg...
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens