Ikat fabric, family self-esteem
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Every house on the Kisar and Nusa Leti islands, as well as whole families in the island chain in Southwest Maluku regency, Maluku, must keep at least three sheets of ikat woven fabric at home. Besides being part of traditional attire during cultural events, ikat cloth is also given to families suffering bereavements.
“The ikat fabric is also a symbol of a family bond, because when a membe...
- Riau tourism ambassadors to be crowned at Bujang Dara Riau 2017 pageant
- Consider peacekeeping operations in Myanmar
- Susi reminds Central Java fishermen to stop using 'cantrang'
- Eliminating illegal parking at GBK needs PPKGBK approval
- Angelina Jolie's Cambodian genocide film deserves to be watched
- Ancol to go cashless
- Google executive downplays AI’s possible threat to mankind
- Central bank sets ceiling fee via newly issued e-money card regulation
- Muhammadiyah sends aid team for Rohingya
- Minister slams F&B firms for objecting to sugar auction plan