Ikat fabric, family self-esteem
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Every house on the Kisar and Nusa Leti islands, as well as whole families in the island chain in Southwest Maluku regency, Maluku, must keep at least three sheets of ikat woven fabric at home. Besides being part of traditional attire during cultural events, ikat cloth is also given to families suffering bereavements.
“The ikat fabric is also a symbol of a family bond, because when a membe...
- Jakarta-born Rich Chigga tells Rolling Stone why he moved to LA
- Four Indonesian destinations named best dive sites in Asia by CNN
- Orangutan conservation: Government agencies no 'cleaning service'
- House’s Instagram tirade against KPK goes viral
- Lawmakers turn up in droves for election bill showdown
- Global drug rings target Indonesia after shifting from Philippines: BNN
- Italian citizen busted for possessing 'ajapa japa' tobacco
- Police declare tougher approach against foreign drug smugglers
- Hizbut Tahrir may file lawsuit against disbandment: Police
- Halal certification shouldn’t burden industry: F&B producers