Ikat fabric, family self-esteem
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Every house on the Kisar and Nusa Leti islands, as well as whole families in the island chain in Southwest Maluku regency, Maluku, must keep at least three sheets of ikat woven fabric at home. Besides being part of traditional attire during cultural events, ikat cloth is also given to families suffering bereavements.
“The ikat fabric is also a symbol of a family bond, because when a membe...
- Surakarta's 100-year-old palace wall collapses
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- EDITORIAL: Speak out Mr. Speaker
- In Chile, pope seeks forgiveness for sex abuse scandals
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- AirAsia to move international flight operations to Soekarno-Hatta Terminal 3
- Tencent leads $51 million investment in Canadian startup Wattpad
- Samsung launches Galaxy A8, A8+ for millennials
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract