Ikat fabric, family self-esteem
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Every house on the Kisar and Nusa Leti islands, as well as whole families in the island chain in Southwest Maluku regency, Maluku, must keep at least three sheets of ikat woven fabric at home. Besides being part of traditional attire during cultural events, ikat cloth is also given to families suffering bereavements.
“The ikat fabric is also a symbol of a family bond, because when a membe...
- PLN has signed contracts for power plants to generate 31,000 MW
- Anies, Sandiaga leave town
- Journalist named suspect over traffic accident involving Setya Novanto
- Hundreds of residents escorted out of besieged Papuan villages
- 'Despacito' sweeps Latin Grammys -- and heads to Asia
- Jokowi orders Setya to obey law
- Jakarta least tolerant city in Indonesia: human rights group
- Album Review: 'Reputation' by Taylor Swift
- Pertamina says fuel prices need to be increased
- Minister gives taxpayers another chance to declare hidden wealth