Cina Benteng get free health service
The Jakarta Post
TANGERANG: People of Chinese-Indonesian descent, known as the Cina Benteng (Chinese of the Fort) in Neglasari district, Tangerang municipality, received free healthcare on Monday.
The one-day service was provided by Kampung Benteng Community Forum (FMKB) in cooperation with Tangerang water operator PDAM Tirta Benteng, the Relawan Benteng Bersatu organization and the Indonesian Chinese Church Union (PGTI).
“We don’t mind queuing for hours as it’s a rare opportunity to get free healthcare,” said Leni, 26, who had took along her 4-year-old daughter for treatment.
The organizing committee’s chairman, Edi Lien from FKMB, said that they had brought five doctors from Jakarta’s Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital (RSCM). “Residents who need further medical treatment or surgery will be referred to RSCM and will receive treatment free of charge.”
Tirta Benteng president director Ahmad Marju Kodri said that the company had an allocated budget as part of its corporate social responsibility program to assist underprivileged residents living in the area.
“We hope that those who joined the free healthcare service will be cured soon and do better in their lives,” he said.
Kan An, 53, one of the residents suffering from a hernia, said that he was very thankful for the service. “We really need this kind of program. I hope it can be held regularly.”
Neglasari, which is located near Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, is the poorest among the municipality’s 13 districts. It is home to some 10,000 Cina Benteng people.
- For train lovers, a bargain 760-km trip may be just the ticket
- BI pushes 'waqf' development as financial welfare instrument
- Ahok still busy on his last day in office
- 'I don't accept the verdict': Jessica
- Food that can help your skin heal more quickly
- Ahok sets Jakarta minimum wage at Rp 3.35m
- Indonesia brings home Miss Grand International 2016 title
- BREAKING NEWS: Judges sentence Jessica to 20 years in prison
- Judges find Jessica guilty despite lack of eyewitnesses
- Seeking true happiness through meditation