Minister reveals F-16 US offer
Paper Edition | Page: 3
Defense Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro revealed Thursday that the second batch of Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon jet fighters offered by the United States would consist of 10 aircraft, breaking his previous silence.
Purnomo said the offer would be discussed with the House of Representatives as the aircraft require huge funds for upgrades.
“We must also report the offer to the Cabinet which makes the final decision,” he said during an Idul Fitri gathering at the ministry.
Earlier on Aug.15, Purnomo revealed the second batch offer, but declined to disclose the numbers involved, while Defense Ministry’s secretary-general Vice Marshal Eris Herryanto said the second batch “would be sufficient to form another squadron”.
Currently, Indonesia has 10 F-16A/B Block 15 fighters with operational capability upgrades (OCU) at the 3rd Squadron at the Iswahjudi Air Force Base in Madiun, East Java. Block 15 represents the oldest model while Block 60 is the most advanced.