11 arrested as stones fly in Manokwari protest
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Police clashed with protestors after a rally held by the West Papua National Committee (KNPB) in Manokwari, West Papua, turned violent.
Papua Police Spokesman Adj. Sr. Comr. I Gede Sumerta said tension surfaced when protestors started to attack police officers, who were safeguarding the rally, by hurling stones.
The clash between both sides became unavoidable as officers fired into...
- Kim becomes first North Korean leader to cross border into South since war
- Indonesia's digital policy lacking focus
- Number of rejected Schengen visa applications for Indonesia increases
- Headscarved students banned from performing 'gambyong' dance
- Human rights at risk for ASEAN citizens
- Bank Indonesia open to rate rises
- Anger as Fiji tourism ad swaps 'church' for 'toilet'
- ‘Stranger Things’ coming to Universal Studios Singapore
- Ship's captain named suspect in Balikpapan oil spill
- Nod for 'Jack Ryan' season 2