New terminal at Juanda airport promises to ease pressure
The Jakarta Post
State-owned airport management company PT Angkasa Pura I (AP I) expects the development of a new passenger terminal at Juanda International Airport in Sidoarjo regency, East Java, which has capacity for 6 million passengers per year, will be completed on National Heroes Day on Nov.10.
AP I general manager for Juanda airport, Trikora Harjo, told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday that the development of the new terminal, which is costing Rp 946 billion (US$97.4 million), would ease the pressure of the current passenger traffic of 16 million people per year.
'Juanda airport was designed to cater for only 8 million passengers. However, the number of passengers now flowing through the airport has doubled, reaching 16 million,' said Trikora.
Once completed, he added, the airport's passenger load could be reduced by around 50 percent.
Trikora said Rp 901 billion of the total budget was allocated to infrastructure development while the remainder would go toward operations.
The new terminal's support facility, which is located next to the southern runway, is designed to be wide enough to accommodate an estimated 700 vehicles. Meanwhile, the valley facility and overnight parking lots will cater for 135 vehicles.
Project coordinator Syamsul Alam said the terminal's infrastructure development was now 49.7 percent complete and it was hoped that an initial terminal tryout would take place at the end of September. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Teary Veronica reads Ahok letter on reasons for appeal withdrawal
- EDITORIAL: Well-deserved rating upgrade
- Raid on suspected gay sex party based on law: Police
- RI seeks release of patrol crew member held hostage in Vietnam via diplomacy
- Pertamina’s privileges may be revoked if efficiency not improved
- Jakartans to see more urban farming
- Pilgrimage at a price
- Police condemned for ‘arbitrary’ raid on ‘gay party’
- Cuba's first luxury hotel opens in Havana
- Widespread hotspots mark the start of dry season: BMKG