Putting it briefly: Jakarta to replace Riau as ISG host
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
JAKARTA: The Islamic Solidarity Games (ISG) will now be held in Jakarta from Sept. 22 to Oct. 1 due to several problems faced by the original host Riau.
According to Youth and Sports Minister Roy Suryo, he had to move the venue to the capital due to an ongoing dispute between the Riau administration and the venues' management consortium. The administration still owes Rp 200 billion (US$20.62 million) to the consortium.
The sporting events, which had originally been scheduled for June 6-17, were also likely to coincide with the Riau regional election in September.
'Riau residents will focus their attention on the election,' Roy said on Monday as quoted by Antara news wire.
He added that Riau Governor Rusli Zainal, who is also the ISG organizing committee chairman, had been named a suspect in several graft cases by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) and would not be able to continue his organizational tasks.
Therefore, Roy said, his ministry agreed with the suggestion from the organizers, the Indonesia Olympic Committee (KOI), the National Sports Council (KONI) and the Coordinating People's Welfare Ministry to hold the Games in Jakarta.
The minister said he would soon contact Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo to discuss the change of plan.
You might also like :
- Minister Sri Mulyani warns Freeport not to stop production
- North Korean university seeks English teacher
- Tjahjo Kumolo remains firm on decision not to suspend Ahok
- Jokowi warns against 'excessive democracy'
- Foreign researchers ‘steal’ Indonesia's genetic resources
- French President, FM to visit Indonesia
- Saudi Arabia sees killed Densus 88 members as martyrs: Pramono
- Runoff campaign period set to start in early March
- Government signs guarantee agreement for Rp 37.2t toll road projects
- Ahok, Djarot told to take leave again for runoff campaign