Putting it briefly: Jakarta to replace Riau as ISG host
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
JAKARTA: The Islamic Solidarity Games (ISG) will now be held in Jakarta from Sept. 22 to Oct. 1 due to several problems faced by the original host Riau.
According to Youth and Sports Minister Roy Suryo, he had to move the venue to the capital due to an ongoing dispute between the Riau administration and the venues' management consortium. The administration still owes Rp 200 billion (US$20.62 million) to the consortium.
The sporting events, which had originally been scheduled for June 6-17, were also likely to coincide with the Riau regional election in September.
'Riau residents will focus their attention on the election,' Roy said on Monday as quoted by Antara news wire.
He added that Riau Governor Rusli Zainal, who is also the ISG organizing committee chairman, had been named a suspect in several graft cases by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) and would not be able to continue his organizational tasks.
Therefore, Roy said, his ministry agreed with the suggestion from the organizers, the Indonesia Olympic Committee (KOI), the National Sports Council (KONI) and the Coordinating People's Welfare Ministry to hold the Games in Jakarta.
The minister said he would soon contact Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo to discuss the change of plan.
- Catholic university refuses to remove billboards with hijab-clad student
- Study finds majority of people condemning Ahok's ‘blasphemy’ not well informed
- Indonesia over the moon after $9.4 million win against Churchill
- Muslims lambast Christmas service raid in Bandung
- Public faith in Jokowi remains high despite anti-Ahok movement
- Rachmawati says meetings, cash transfer not evidence of treason
- FUI forces Christian university to drop billboard with hijab-clad student
- Charging-device producer Anker aims to tap Indonesian market
- N.Sumatra dispatches assistance for Aceh earthquake victims
- Bali's Sindhu Market most 'trending' attraction in Southeast Asia