PDI-P patron Taufiq Kiemas dies
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle Party (PDI-P)
patron and People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) Speaker Taufiq Kiemas
died at a hospital in Singapore
on Saturday evening, according to message on the official PDI-P Twitter account.
The message was from House of Representatives Deputy Speaker Pramono Anung, who accompanied Taufiq in Singapore, along with PDI-P chairwoman and Taufiq's wife Megawati Soekarnoputri and Puan Maharani, kompas.com reported on Saturday.
PDI-P secretary-general Tjahjo Kumolo said Taufiq's remains would be brought to Jakarta from Singapore on Sunday through Halim Perdanakusma Airport. He added that the remains would be buried at Kalibata Heroes Cemetery.
Taufiq was hospitalized after he felt sick when accompanying Vice President Boediono in observing the Pancasila anniversary on June 1 in East Nusa Tenggara.
A former student activist, Taufiq was Megawati's third husband. Puan Maharani is the only child from Taufiq's marriage to Megawati.
was among those eager to promote Pancasila as one of the four state
pillars. He often said Indonesia
required a firm basis - the four state pillars ' in order to be able to achieve
The three other state pillars are the national motto Bhinneka Tunggal Ika (Unity in Diversity), the 1945 Constitution and the concept of the unitary state of the Republic of Indonesia. (hrl/dic)
You might also like :
- 5 barges destroy coral in Karimunjawa
- Anti-cement plant rally goes on after farmer’s death
- Saudi king and Indonesia's hypocrisy, opportunism
- Indonesia still struggles to close gender equality gap: UNDP
- Papua asks for 10 percent in Freeport divestment
- Before Parliament violence, other attacks on Britain
- Foreigners eager to revisit Jakarta
- EDITORIAL: Cementing options for people
- Bekasi to verify data on 1,700 foreign workers
- Korea to issue e-visas for Southeast Asians to tackle THAAD fallout