PDI-P patron Taufiq Kiemas dies
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle Party (PDI-P)
patron and People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) Speaker Taufiq Kiemas
died at a hospital in Singapore
on Saturday evening, according to message on the official PDI-P Twitter account.
The message was from House of Representatives Deputy Speaker Pramono Anung, who accompanied Taufiq in Singapore, along with PDI-P chairwoman and Taufiq's wife Megawati Soekarnoputri and Puan Maharani, kompas.com reported on Saturday.
PDI-P secretary-general Tjahjo Kumolo said Taufiq's remains would be brought to Jakarta from Singapore on Sunday through Halim Perdanakusma Airport. He added that the remains would be buried at Kalibata Heroes Cemetery.
Taufiq was hospitalized after he felt sick when accompanying Vice President Boediono in observing the Pancasila anniversary on June 1 in East Nusa Tenggara.
A former student activist, Taufiq was Megawati's third husband. Puan Maharani is the only child from Taufiq's marriage to Megawati.
was among those eager to promote Pancasila as one of the four state
pillars. He often said Indonesia
required a firm basis - the four state pillars ' in order to be able to achieve
The three other state pillars are the national motto Bhinneka Tunggal Ika (Unity in Diversity), the 1945 Constitution and the concept of the unitary state of the Republic of Indonesia. (hrl/dic)
You might also like :
- Jokowi orders police to gun down foreign drug traffickers
- Bumi subsidiary to gain big from NFC deal: Analyst
- Justin Bieber's Indonesia concert rumors heat up following media reports
- Indonesia condemns Israeli crackdown on holy mosque
- Pertamina pledges firm actions against ‘recalcitrant’ LPG distributors
- Private investors called on to help supply electricity to villages
- High-tech mystery: Is a Facebook phone in the works?
- Waste bank gives Cengkareng residents extra income
- Dali's trademark moustache intact at '10 past 10'
- Cruise company to offer trips to Makassar, Semarang