Indonesians pay their respects as Taufiq is laid to rest
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Family, friends and fellow politicians paid their final respects to former People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) speaker Taufiq Kiemas on Sunday.
A ceremonial funeral with full military honors was held at the Kalibata National Heroes Cemetery at 11 a.m., which was attended by thousands of people including government officials, politicians, People's Consultative Assembly and House of Representatives' members and peers.
The coffin, which was draped with the Red and White flag, arrived at the cemetery by hearse and was welcomed by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who led the funeral service. Taufiq's wife and Indonesia's fifth president, Megawati Soekarnoputri, the couple's daughter, Puan Maharani, and other family members walked behind the coffin.
The procession began with a reading of Taufiq's curriculum vitae.
'I, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, the President of the Republic of Indonesia, present the body, soul and service of the late MPR speaker, Taufiq Kiemas, to the motherland. Hopefully, he will receive a good place near to God,' said Yudhoyono in his remarks before the procession.
Around 500 police officers from the Jakarta Police's traffic division and the East Jakarta police were deployed to secure the funeral procession, said Jakarta Police spokesman Sr.Comr.Rikwanto as quoted by kompas.com.
Taufiq Kiemas died at the age of 70 at a hospital in Singapore at 7:05 p.m. local time on Saturday June 8. His body was flown from Singapore and arrived at Halim Perdanakusuma Airport in East Jakarta at 9:45 a.m. on Sunday before being taken to the Kalibata National Heroes Cemetery for the funeral. (fan/ebf)
You might also like :
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Okky Madasari unearths hidden tales of Indonesia in 'Mata' series
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know