RI won't apologize to S'pore for haze: Marty
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Foreign Affairs Minister Marty Natalegawa has said the Indonesian government will not issue an apology to its Singaporean counterpart for the haze crisis but he insisted that the government would do everything it could to tackle the problem.
'The Singaporean government must be aware that we have done all we can to tackle this haze problem. Indonesia has been dealing with this for years and improvements have been made,' Marty said as
quoted by kompas.com on Friday.
He said both governments had worked hand-in-hand to tackle the problem, sharing information regarding the latest situation on the ground. For example, he said, Singapore's environment minister had been sent here to discuss the best possible solutions with his Indonesian counterpart.
Currently visibility in the city-state is very limited and air pollution has breached 'hazardous' levels. Similar conditions are also being seen in Indonesian cities like Pekanbaru in Riau and Jambi. The haze is coming from fires in many locations in Sumatra and West Kalimantan.(dic)
You might also like :
- Ahok faces threats in Cipinang prison: Warden
- Prosecutors in e-ID case demand former Home Ministry officials be jailed
- How embargo affects Qatar investment in Indonesia
- Two Bali foreign inmates caught in Timor Leste
- House inquiry team to meet National Police to ‘straighten things out’
- East Jakarta robbery gang well managed: Police
- Beijing's new mega airport will challenge Air China's dominance
- Bank Indonesia sets chip technology standard for ATMs, debit cards
- Police question witnesses following Kerobokan prison escape
- Police to make sketch of Novel Baswedan attacker