Riau in state of emergency due to haze
The Jakarta Post
government finally declared a state of emergency in Riau starting on Friday following
worsening haze from forest fires in three regencies and municipalities
in the province.
The haze is from forest fires in the regencies of Bengkalis and Rokan Hilir and Dumai City.
'The President has instructed the National Disaster Mitigation Agency [BNPB] to take over fire extinguishing efforts in Riau, starting on Friday,' the BNPB emergency response director Tri Budiarto said on Friday.
The agency said it had deployed two helicopters on Friday to spray water from the air and one aircraft for cloud seeding efforts in the burning areas, starting on Saturday.
Riau Deputy Governor Mambang Mit added that cloud seeding efforts would be the last solution because the conventional techniques had met difficulties extinguishing the fires.
'The weather conditions, which are very dry and windy, and the locations of fires, which are inaccessible to vehicles, have slowed efforts to put out the fires. The only solution is cloud seeding,' he said.
He said that the Riau administration was currently investigating the involvement of some firms in the forest fires.
He did not deny the fact that in the previous years a number of plantation companies made use of the dry weather to clear their areas for planting.
'The authorities will take strong measures against them if there is enough evidence,' he said, adding that the legal process would be handled by the police.
According the data from the Forestry Ministry, the total areas gutted by the fires have reached 3,709 hectares in 10 out 12 regencies and municipalities in Riau, where Rokan Hilir and Bengkalis have been the most heavily affected. (hrl)
- Indonesia among the worst mercantilists?
- Agus still front runner, but Ahok's popularity increasing: Survey
- Emirsyah Satar’s case not related with corporate activities: Garuda
- Ellen DeGeneres takes home 3 People's Choice Awards
- Express Taxi appoints new management
- Simple solution for greener earth
- Global contest to design Changi Airport's Terminal 5 kicks off
- History of fires at Senen Market
- Government to continue cracking down on websites: Minister
- Researchers warn of dangers of two-finger pose in photos