Surya Paloh-Ical meeting not political, says Golkar top brass
Bagus BT Saragih
The Jakarta Post
Party deputy chairman Agung Laksono dismissed the speculation suggesting
that the meeting between NasDem Party chairman Surya Paloh and
Golkar chairman Aburizal 'Ical' Bakrie was a signal of a
potential political partnership.
Surya and Ical, who had a history of political rivalry when the two competed over the Golkar chairman post, looked engaged in a very intense discussion during a breaking of the fast gathering at NasDem headquarters in Jakarta on Wednesday.
'That was just a breaking of the fast gathering, nothing political. They met as fellow Muslims,' Agung, who is also the coordinating people's welfare minister, told journalists at the State Palace.
Surya was a former Golkar supervisory board chief. In 2009, he lost the party chairmanship race to Ical.In 2011, he left the party and two years later he was appointed as the chairman of the NasDem Party.
Agung acknowledged Surya and Ical had shared different political perspectives. 'But maintaining communication is always good even with a political rival,' he said.
'Instead of hatred, we should be engaging in warm communication in line with the Ramadhan spirit.'
The minister said he did not know if Golkar had been exploring the possibility of a coalition with NasDem.
'But such a chance, in politics, is always on the table,' he said. (dic)
You might also like :
- Satpol PP officer dies after being hit by airport train
- Airport trains no longer have single fare
- French founder strives to elevate Indonesian brand at Maison&Objet
- Europe brings on charm and blue skies to lure Chinese tourists
- Twitter says Russia-linked accounts more widespread
- Electronic parking meters on Jl Sabang to be reactivated
- Tom Petty died of accidental overdose: family
- Bekasi Police arrest alleged sexual abuser after three-month pursuit
- Facebook to let users rank 'trust' in news sources
- Average British dinner lasts 21 minutes: survey