Moeldoko likely next TNI commander
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Army chief of staff Gen. Moeldoko looks set to take the reins of the Indonesian Military (TNI) and replace Adm. Agus Suhartono, who will retire on Aug. 25, as commander.
'The House of Representatives received a letter from the President [Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono] regarding the candidate slated to replace the current commander. I received the information from the Commission I Secretariat,' said Fayakhun Andriadi, a member of Commission I, which oversees defense at the House, on Sunday, as quoted by Antara news agency.
Fayakhun said Commission I was ready to process Moeldoko's candidacy by holding a fit-and-proper test when the House returns from its recess.
Praising Moeldoko, Fayakhun said the Army Chief of Staff was the right figure to replace the current TNI commander.
'Regarding whether the next TNI commander is from Army, Air Force or Navy, it's the President's prerogative. We won't question it,' said Fayakhun.
Moeldoko is one of three names, including Navy chief of staff Adm. Marsetio and Air Chief Marshal Ida Bagus Putu Dunia, submitted by Agus Suhartono to the President as his successor candidates.
Moeldoko was the best graduate of the Military Academy (Akmil) in 1981, receiving the Adhi Makayasa medal. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Jokowi stresses tolerance at cultural congress conclusion
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Low deficits and fiscal prudence
- Indonesia’s e-commerce sales predicted to reach US$65b in 2022
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100