SBY demands code of ethics for RI-Oz relations
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono wants to a establish a protocol and code of ethics on Indonesia-Australia cooperation that will regulate relations of the two countries in the future, following the alleged wiretapping operations conducted by Australia on several high-ranking Indonesian officials.
'I fully endorse the establishment of a protocol and code of ethics for Indonesia-Australia bilateral ties, I have proposed this to the Australian prime minister and he has agreed with the idea,' said Yudhoyono at the Presidential Office in Jakarta on Tuesday evening as quoted by Antara news agency.
The President earlier said he would assign Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa or a special envoy to discuss deeper and more sensitive issues on Indonesia-Australia bilateral relations following the revelation of the spying operations.
'After the two parties reach a 'mutual understanding' and a 'mutual agreement', I do hope that this can be followed with a comprehensive discussion on the establishment of the protocol and code of ethics,' said Yudhoyono.
The President asserted that he himself would check the draft protocol and code of ethics to see whether they were comprehensive enough and had fulfilled Indonesia's interests following the wiretapping scandal before the two heads of state gave their approval.
'When the protocol and code of ethics are ready to be approved, I want to make sure that both Prime Minister Tony Abbott and myself are present ,' Yudhoyono said. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Essential guide to remote travel in eastern Indonesia
- 100 'ojek' drivers gather at Central Jakarta apartment complex after alleged assault
- Big Bad Wolf 2018 to offer Mandarin books
- The skinny on McDonald’s Indonesia ‘nasi uduk’ set
- Woman dies at Soekarno-Hatta after arriving from Sydney
- Jakarta to open first two-pronged underpass to public
- Indonesians loyal despite Facebook data harvesting
- Indonesia calls for joint effort to tax Google, Facebook, Amazon
- Batik timeline to be showcased at 2018 Borobudur Masterpiece
- African nations are now more like Wakanda: Foreign Ministry