Extreme weather pounds Yogyakarta
The Jakarta Post
Yogyakarta residents have been urged to remain cautious as extreme weather, caused by a meeting of tropical cyclones, is expected to hit several areas in Yogyakarta at the end of the month.
The Yogyakarta chapter of the Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency's (BMKG) climate forecast official, Subandi, said that the meeting of a tropical cyclone from northern Java with another cyclone heading toward the north from the southern part of the island was predicted to take place this week.
As a result, there would be an arrangement of clouds over Java Island that will produce heavy rains and high waves in coastal areas.
"The weather even will be quite extreme. The height of waves is expected to be between 4 and 7 meters. This is very dangerous for small boats,' said Subandi.
In high-altitude areas such as Sleman regency, there is expected to be higher rainfall. 'Rains with higher intensity will fall in upper areas such as Sleman,' Subandi said.
Many local fishermen, however, are still going out to sea despite the high waves. 'It's a lobster season now. They are selling at quite a high price,' said Dargo, a resident from Depok beach, Kretek, Bantul. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Lake Toba to hold Gowes Samosir cycling event
- Celebrity Fitri Carlina endorses Wonderful Indonesia, Banyuwangi tourism
- Karetan Market partners with waste management startup company
- Block porn or be blocked, Indonesia warns Google, Twitter
- Facebook launches new ‘Facebook Creator’ app for video content creators
- Karetan Market holds vlog competition for visitors
- West Papua to host Senja Kaimana Festival 2017
- Tourism Ministry, KBRI promote five Indonesian destinations in Thailand
- East Java to host Situbondo Carnival
- Saung Angklung Udjo holds seventh Angklung Pride in Bandung