Extreme weather pounds Yogyakarta
The Jakarta Post
Yogyakarta residents have been urged to remain cautious as extreme weather, caused by a meeting of tropical cyclones, is expected to hit several areas in Yogyakarta at the end of the month.
The Yogyakarta chapter of the Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency's (BMKG) climate forecast official, Subandi, said that the meeting of a tropical cyclone from northern Java with another cyclone heading toward the north from the southern part of the island was predicted to take place this week.
As a result, there would be an arrangement of clouds over Java Island that will produce heavy rains and high waves in coastal areas.
"The weather even will be quite extreme. The height of waves is expected to be between 4 and 7 meters. This is very dangerous for small boats,' said Subandi.
In high-altitude areas such as Sleman regency, there is expected to be higher rainfall. 'Rains with higher intensity will fall in upper areas such as Sleman,' Subandi said.
Many local fishermen, however, are still going out to sea despite the high waves. 'It's a lobster season now. They are selling at quite a high price,' said Dargo, a resident from Depok beach, Kretek, Bantul. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Residents near Mt. Agung begin to relocate their livestock
- Uber tops 500,000 signatures on petition to halt London ban
- G30S/PKI film is the correct version of history: Tommy Soeharto
- Keep calm and enjoy Bali: Tourism association
- Thousands flee rumbling Mount Agung
- Owner of Islamic matchmaking site arrested, charged under Pornography Law
- Wiranto calms fear over weapon shipment rumor
- ‘Unicorn Gundam’ illuminated, dazzles in official unveiling
- New Zealand's English claims mandate to form government
- Singapore IS fighter challenges Prince Harry in video