TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

More than 30,000 victims of Sinabung eruptions residing in shelters

As many as 30,152 people, or 9,403 households, are still living in evacuation centers due to the eruption of Mount Sinabung in Karo regency, North Sumatra

The Jakarta Post
Jakarta
Sun, February 2, 2014 Published on Feb. 2, 2014 Published on 2014-02-02T19:26:10+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

A

s many as 30,152 people, or 9,403 households, are still living in evacuation centers due to the eruption of Mount Sinabung in Karo regency, North Sumatra.

'Many people are still evacuating despite a decline in Sinabung's volcanic activity,' said National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho in a press conference in Jakarta on Sunday, as quoted by Antara news agency.

The volcanic status of Mt.Sinabung is still at 'awas' (level 4) since increasing from 'siaga' (level 3) on Feb.1.

Sutopo said the evacuees were from 34 villages in four districts: Namantran, Payung, Simpang Empat and Tiganderket. He said evacuees from areas outside the radius of 5 kilometers from Sinabung's crater could return to their homes.

'Evacuees from 16 villages could return home after the lowering of Sinabung's volcanic activity status, which is expected to take place sometime between the end of February and March,' said Sutopo.

'Eruptions and the outpouring of pyroclastic clouds, as well as lava dome growth and lava flows, have continued to occur,' he went on.

On Sunday, the number of people killed by Sinabung's pyroclastic clouds increased to 15 from 14 as reported the previous day.

The latest victim, Surya Sembiring, 24, a resident of Kabanjahe, was previously reported to have suffered burn injuries with two other victims, Sehat Sembiring, 40, and Donny Sembiring, 70. Surya, who is also Sehat's son, died at Earina Etaham Hospital at 8 a.m. local time on Sunday.

'As of Sunday, 15 people died due to Sinabung eruptions while two victims with burn injuries are still receiving medical treatment at a hospital,' said Sutopo. (ebf)

 

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.