Can't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsCan't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsJAKARTA: The Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) said on Monday that it would not issue an edict banning Muslims from traveling to Saudi Arabia to perform umrah (minor pilgrimage) due to concerns over Middle East respiratory syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV)
AKARTA: The Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) said on Monday that it would not issue an edict banning Muslims from traveling to Saudi Arabia to perform umrah (minor pilgrimage) due to concerns over Middle East respiratory syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV).
MUI chairman Din Syamsuddin said that the council would not issue the ban yet.
'We can't issue the ban. We're still waiting for the Saudi authorities to make its decision,' Din said as quoted by tribunnews.com.
Last year, about 180,000 Indonesians went on haj and 700,000 on umrah.
A number of pilgrims returning from Saudi Arabia have been reported to have shown MERS symptoms in recent weeks.
As of Sunday, Adam Malik Hospital in Medan, North Sumatra, had treated eight suspected-MERS patients from across North Sumatra.
Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.
Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!
Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.