Rio Haryanto to get another F1 test
Bagus BT Saragih
The Jakarta Post
The Caterham F1 Team has confirmed that on July 9, Indonesian racer Rio Haryanto will drive his sixth 2014 F1 test at the Silverstone circuit in the UK; it will be Rio's third test of an F1 car over the course of his racing career.
Rio, who currently competes in the GP2 series with the EQ8 Caterham racing team, will join British driver Will Stevens, according to a press release from the team.
'I can't wait to get back in an F1 car and I'm delighted it's with Caterham F1 Team ['¦] the last time I drove an F1 car was at the young drivers test at Silverstone in 2012; with the new engine regulations this year, I'm sure it'll be a very different experience,' the 23-year-old driver said, as quoted in the press release.
'The goal for me is to use this day as another learning experience, another chance to build on the F1 laps I've already completed. And while my focus before the test is obviously to do the best job I can in the GP2, I will be 100 percent ready to work to execute the plan and help the team develop as best I can,' he added.
Rio previously took part in F1 tests in Abu Dhabi in 2010 and Silverstone in 2012, when he satisfied the eligibility requirements for obtaining a super-licence, becoming the first Indonesian driver ever to do so.
Rio joined EQ8 Caterham Racing in January to contest the 2014 GP2 championship, one of F1's feeder series'. Many drivers have used the GP2 as a stepping-stone to F1. After a good start to the season, Rio is currently ranked tenth in the 2014 GP2 standings, with 26 points.
Rio is the first Indonesian to compete at the GP2 level and some predict he will become Indonesia's first F1 driver.
Rio made his GP2 debut with DAMS at the non-championship season finale at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi, in 2011. He has the series full-time for 2012 with the Marussia-backed Carlin team, where he partners with Max Chilton, who currently drives for Marussia F1 Team.
Last month, Rio gained his second career GP2 podium finish in Monaco, which was also the first for the EQ8 Caterham Racing this year.
In June 2013, he won his first podium finish in the GP2 Series at Silverstone, which was also the first for the Barwa Addax Team in the 2013 GP2 season.
- Catholic university refuses to remove billboards with hijab-clad student
- Study finds majority of people condemning Ahok's ‘blasphemy’ not well informed
- Rachmawati says meetings, cash transfer not evidence of treason
- N.Sumatra dispatches assistance for Aceh earthquake victims
- Charging-device producer Anker aims to tap Indonesian market
- Muslims lambast Christmas service raid in Bandung
- Indonesia over the moon after $9.4 million win against Churchill
- Public faith in Jokowi remains high despite anti-Ahok movement
- Jokowi meets Kofi Annan to discuss Myanmar
- FUI forces Christian university to drop billboard with hijab-clad student