Jero Wacik to resign, acting replacement to be chosen tonight
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Following Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Jero Wacik being named a graft suspect, ministry secretary-general Teguh Pamuji said he would summon high-ranking officials to immediately discuss possible candidates for who would fill in as acting minister.
Teguh hinted that the meeting would probably start at around 6 p.m. today.
'The meeting would be led by Deputy Minister [Susilo Suswoutomo] so as to discuss the candidates that could serve as acting minister. The names of the candidates come from the president,' he was quoted as saying in his office on Wednesday by kompas.com.
When asked about Jero's whereabouts, Teguh emphasized that Jero was still in Jakarta and was preparing to go through legal proceedings. He added that Jero also intended to speed up his resignation because of his legal status as suspect.
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) on Wednesday named Jero, who is also a senior politician in President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's ruling Democratic Party, a suspect in relation to his roles in various cases of alleged graft. (fzm/dic)
You might also like :
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- Asian Games: Poor ticket handling after spectacular opening
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- Jokowi opens Asian Games in dazzling ceremony
- Google launches special features for Asian Games 2018
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- National Folk Museum of Korea to bring ‘mobile museums’ to Asian Games
- Strong earthquake hits off Fiji, no tsunami threat
- Cricket hero Imran Khan sworn in as Pakistan PM
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed