Jokowi, Kalla sworn in as president and vice president
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo and Jusuf Kalla have been officially sworn in as Indonesia President and Vice President for the period of 2014-2019. As the nation's new leaders, Jokowi said he and the Vice President were committed to working diligently for the development of the nation.
Jokowi was sworn in as the seventh Indonesian president in a plenary session of the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) led by MPR speaker Zulkifli Hasan on Monday.
'['¦] I will faithfully uphold my commitments as the President of the Republic of Indonesia to work hard for the development of the nation,' said Jokowi during his speech.
Jokowi also greeted the former Indonesian presidents ' Baharudin Jusuf Habibie, Megawati Soekarnoputri, and Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono ' who were present for the ceremony.
The former Jakarta governor also greeted Prabowo Subianto, his former rival during the July 9 presidential election.
'['¦] a man whom I respect, my friend Prabowo Subianto,' Jokowi said.
Prabowo stood up for a brief moment after Jokowi mentioned his name and the MPR broke into applause.
Several leaders of neighboring countries, including Malaysia Prime Minister Najib Razak, Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Australia Prime Minister Tony Abbott, and Sultan Hasanal Bolkian of Brunei Darussalam, attended the inauguration ceremony. US Secretary of State John Kerry and former Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda were also present. (alz/ebf)
You might also like :
- Garuda Indonesia reigns as world’s best airline cabin crew for fourth consecutive year
- Bali ready for Obama vacation
- Ahok to move back to Cipinang
- Snipers deployed to secure Idul Fitri travelers in East Java
- Government set to revise negative investment list again
- Malang students invent device that pinches butt of drowsy drivers
- Everyone named Bambang invited for 'iftar' today
- Jakarta plans to spend Rp 74 trillion next year
- Golkar supports KPK investigation into cadre's alleged corruption: Setya
- Jokowi celebrates birthday by distributing staple goods to Bogor residents