Jokowi, Kalla sworn in as president and vice president
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo and Jusuf Kalla have been officially sworn in as Indonesia President and Vice President for the period of 2014-2019. As the nation's new leaders, Jokowi said he and the Vice President were committed to working diligently for the development of the nation.
Jokowi was sworn in as the seventh Indonesian president in a plenary session of the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) led by MPR speaker Zulkifli Hasan on Monday.
'['¦] I will faithfully uphold my commitments as the President of the Republic of Indonesia to work hard for the development of the nation,' said Jokowi during his speech.
Jokowi also greeted the former Indonesian presidents ' Baharudin Jusuf Habibie, Megawati Soekarnoputri, and Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono ' who were present for the ceremony.
The former Jakarta governor also greeted Prabowo Subianto, his former rival during the July 9 presidential election.
'['¦] a man whom I respect, my friend Prabowo Subianto,' Jokowi said.
Prabowo stood up for a brief moment after Jokowi mentioned his name and the MPR broke into applause.
Several leaders of neighboring countries, including Malaysia Prime Minister Najib Razak, Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Australia Prime Minister Tony Abbott, and Sultan Hasanal Bolkian of Brunei Darussalam, attended the inauguration ceremony. US Secretary of State John Kerry and former Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda were also present. (alz/ebf)
You might also like :
- AccorHotels to operate 200 hotels in Indonesia by 2020
- Hate speech clouds Indonesia's internet in 2016: Police
- Churchgoers perform service amid rally in Cikarang
- Jakarta Police chief visits Santa Clara Church construction site
- The trouble with pedophiles in Indonesia
- More Cipinang inmates transferred to Nusakambangan
- Govt goes extra mile to accelerate land distribution
- Indonesia's Daud Yordan beats Thai boxer in 2nd round of non-title bout
- Indonesia ranks 7th in travel freedom among Southeast Asian countries
- Soccer fan brawl in Tangerang, one death