RI to waive visa requirements for 5 countries
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The government will waive visa requirements for the citizens of several countries in a bid to attract 20 million tourists by 2020.
'Based on the coordination meeting result, there will be five countries; Australia, China, Japan, Russia and South Korea, which are to be granted visa-free access by the government,' Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Indroyono Soesilo said in Jakarta on Wednesday as quoted by kompas.com.
Through the program, he said the government expected to see additional 500,000 tourist arrivals in a year.
The government needed to spend around US$11.5 million on the plan. The minister said, however, that with projected additional tourist arrivals and spending potential, the government would receive minimum revenue of $540 million per year, on the assumption that every tourist spent around $1,200 per visit to Indonesia.
In addition, the government plans to facilitate the permit process for yachts and international cruise ships wanting to enter the country's ports.
'We will strengthen the online system set up by the Foreign Ministry,' he said, adding that the government had set a target to finalize such permits in a day.
With easier permit issuance, he expected leaders in the regions to promote their regions so that Indonesia could attract many tourists. (ask/nfo)(+++)
You might also like :
- Jokowi accused of promoting secularism
- Human or not? Mysterious figure caught on camera in Aceh sparks internet frenzy
- Indonesia to be world's 4th largest economy by 2045: Jokowi
- Indonesia lodges complaint with WTO over US biodiesel anti-dumping duties
- Tax office to scrutinize rich Indonesians not taking part in tax amnesty
- Japan selected as partner for Jakarta-Surabaya railway project
- Ngurah Rai International Airport to halt operations for 24 hours to observe Day of Silence
- Nokia Android phones targeted for global release
- Don’t be afraid to start businesses, Jokowi tells youth
- Non-subsidized electricity prices won’t increase