FPI declares Ahok's governorship illegal, inaugurates own 'governor'
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Members of the hard-line Islam Defenders Front (FPI) 'inaugurated' their choice for Jakarta governor, Fahrurozzi, during their latest protest outside the Jakarta City Council (DPRD) building against the governorship of Basuki 'Ahok' Tjahaja Purnama.
Fahrurozzi was 'sworn in' by the head of the Betawi Brotherhood Forum (FBR) and member of the Jakarta Saviors Presidium, Luthfi Hakim, who stated that Fahrurozzi, coordinator of the Jakarta Community Movement (GMJ), would begin his duties as Jakarta governor effective immediately.
'With this, the entire presidium has decided that the governor of Jakarta is Fahrurrozi Ishak,' Lutfi announced during the 'ceremony' in front of the council building on Monday as quoted by tempo.co.
Because the protestors had deemed Fahrurozzi the true governor, Luthfi insisted that Ahok no longer had the authority to govern the capital.
He called upon all Jakartans to recognize the governorship of Fahrurozzi.
'If anyone [other than Fahrurozzi] claims to be the governor of Jakarta and visits your neighborhood, you must reject him because Jakarta's true governor is now Fahrurozzi Ishak,' he said confidently. According to Tempo, approximately 200 demonstrators participated in the protest on Monday.
After the quick 'inauguration ceremony', Fahrurozzi and his supporters marched toward nearby City Hall, once again disrupting traffic with their protest. (dyl/nfo)(++++)
You might also like :
- Google Search introduces new feature to reduce clicks
- Shots fired at US embassy in Ankara, no casualties
- Pontianak urges school closure for smog
- Asian Games: Poor ticket handling after spectacular opening
- BREAKING: Another 7-magnitude quake hits Lombok
- Asian Games: Flags rise again for swimming medalists after Sun's demand
- Trump lashes out at Russia probe as 'McCarthyism'
- Model claiming Trump secrets pleads not guilty in Thailand case
- Asian Games: We need more experience, says Indonesia wrestling team after failur...
- Four Japan athletes booted from Asian Games in prostitute scandal