FPI declares Ahok's governorship illegal, inaugurates own 'governor'
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Members of the hard-line Islam Defenders Front (FPI) 'inaugurated' their choice for Jakarta governor, Fahrurozzi, during their latest protest outside the Jakarta City Council (DPRD) building against the governorship of Basuki 'Ahok' Tjahaja Purnama.
Fahrurozzi was 'sworn in' by the head of the Betawi Brotherhood Forum (FBR) and member of the Jakarta Saviors Presidium, Luthfi Hakim, who stated that Fahrurozzi, coordinator of the Jakarta Community Movement (GMJ), would begin his duties as Jakarta governor effective immediately.
'With this, the entire presidium has decided that the governor of Jakarta is Fahrurrozi Ishak,' Lutfi announced during the 'ceremony' in front of the council building on Monday as quoted by tempo.co.
Because the protestors had deemed Fahrurozzi the true governor, Luthfi insisted that Ahok no longer had the authority to govern the capital.
He called upon all Jakartans to recognize the governorship of Fahrurozzi.
'If anyone [other than Fahrurozzi] claims to be the governor of Jakarta and visits your neighborhood, you must reject him because Jakarta's true governor is now Fahrurozzi Ishak,' he said confidently. According to Tempo, approximately 200 demonstrators participated in the protest on Monday.
After the quick 'inauguration ceremony', Fahrurozzi and his supporters marched toward nearby City Hall, once again disrupting traffic with their protest. (dyl/nfo)(++++)
You might also like :
- Bali to develop offshore airport
- Winners of the 2018 Brit Awards
- Provincial governments to maximize inter-province trade
- Yogyakarta to transform into Indonesian Silicon Valley
- German arrested over alleged drug smuggling
- Five feared dead, dozens buried in Brebes landslide
- Yogyakarta academicians call on MK chief justice to step down
- Briton arrested over alleged attempt to smuggle diazepam
- SpongeBob SquarePants set to feature on Vans limited edition
- Bentley launches third generation Continental GT in Indonesia