Jokowi buys 300 birds at Pramuka bird market
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
During an impromptu visit to a number of traditional markets to check on rice prices, President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo stopped by the bird market on Jl. Pramuka in East Jakarta on Saturday.
Jokowi bought 300 birds, including starlings and robins, as well as squirrels, which he plans to release at the Presidential Palace on Jl. Merdeka Utara in Central Jakarta and the Bogor Presidential Palace in Bogor, West Java.
'I am seeking cheap starlings,' he said as quoted by kompas.com.
The President bought 200 starlings from a bird seller named Nuryadi at a price of Rp 50,000 (US$4) per bird. He bought 100 starlings from another seller.
'I never dreamed of meeting the President, I feel glad because he bought so many [birds],' kompas.com quoted Nuryadi as saying.
The President said he bought the birds and squirrels in order to maintain the ecosystem in the two areas.
'The birds will be released in the large parks at the two Presidential Palaces in Jakarta and Bogor,' he said.
Before visiting the bird market, the President checked on rice prices at the Pasar Page market in Rawamangun, East Jakarta. (rms)
You might also like :
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018
- Rp 1 trillion invested through Bareksa digital investment portal
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'