Jokowi buys 300 birds at Pramuka bird market
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
During an impromptu visit to a number of traditional markets to check on rice prices, President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo stopped by the bird market on Jl. Pramuka in East Jakarta on Saturday.
Jokowi bought 300 birds, including starlings and robins, as well as squirrels, which he plans to release at the Presidential Palace on Jl. Merdeka Utara in Central Jakarta and the Bogor Presidential Palace in Bogor, West Java.
'I am seeking cheap starlings,' he said as quoted by kompas.com.
The President bought 200 starlings from a bird seller named Nuryadi at a price of Rp 50,000 (US$4) per bird. He bought 100 starlings from another seller.
'I never dreamed of meeting the President, I feel glad because he bought so many [birds],' kompas.com quoted Nuryadi as saying.
The President said he bought the birds and squirrels in order to maintain the ecosystem in the two areas.
'The birds will be released in the large parks at the two Presidential Palaces in Jakarta and Bogor,' he said.
Before visiting the bird market, the President checked on rice prices at the Pasar Page market in Rawamangun, East Jakarta. (rms)
You might also like :
- Indonesia extends export recommendation for Freeport
- IS ambush kills 27 pro-government fighters in Iraq
- Mt. Sinabung spews massive smoke-and-ash column
- Anti-LGBT team established in Depok
- Tearful French skater's 'worst nightmare' after dress mishap
- 'What do they need doping for?' Shock at curling drugs case
- Marines drink cobra blood in US-Thai war drills
- Police beef up security to protect clerics, houses of worship following attacks
- Online shops offer ‘Black Panther’-inspired ‘baju koko’
- Study links acne with increased risk of depression