Member of armed group shot dead in Puncak Jaya
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Agustinus Tabuni, a 24-year-old local identified as a member of an armed criminal group led by Militer Murib, was shot dead when a number of Indonesian Military and National Police personnel conducted a patrol in Kampung Jenggernok, Gome district, Puncak Jaya, around 10 a.m. local time on Tuesday.
'A joint team comprising 30 police and military personnel led by Adj. Comr. Syahwal Halim was conducting a patrol in Kampung Gome when they spotted three people carrying Mauser and revolver rifles,' said Papua Police spokesperson Sr. Com. Rudolf Patrick in Jayapura on Tuesday.
'The team then pursued the three armed people. Two people fled while one suspect was shot as he attempted to shoot two police personnel involved in the patrol,' he went on.
Security personnel confiscated one revolver, 12 bullets with a caliber of 7.62 x 51 mm and two bullets with a caliber of 3.8 mm.
Rudolf said the Gome district head who was with the patrol managed to recognize the man that was shot.
'Both Gome district head and village officers joining the patrol confirmed that the dead victim was Agustinus Tabuni, a member of the Militer Murib group,' he said.
After the identification process, Agustinus was cremated in a procession held at the site of the incident, and witnessed by the Gome district head and village officers. (dyl/ebf)(++++)
You might also like :
- Jakarta officials confirm Ahok returned Rp 1.2b in operational funds
- 7 people caught red-handed by KPK in alleged bribery case
- Ramadhan begins on Saturday, govt says
- Ahok resigns from post, returns money
- Study finds moratorium does little to curb deforestation
- Children’s book launched to promote Indonesian culture, wildlife
- Five people arrested in relation to Jakarta twin suicide bomb attack
- NU intensifies monitoring to curb radicalism during Ramadhan
- Further attacks feared following IS-claimed Jakarta twin blasts
- BNI leads 15 other banks to finance toll road in Central Java