Senior Betawi comedian 'Mpok' Nori passes away at 84
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Nuri Sarinuri, popularly known by her stage name Mpok Nori, passed away on Friday at the age of 84 years.
The senior Betawi comedian passed away at Pasar Rebo General Hospital at 7:40 a.m., tempo.co reported on Friday.
Bandung Mayor Ridwan Kamil was among those to offer their condolences upon learning of Mpok Nori's demise.
"Making other people laugh is a noble job #RIPMpokNori," the mayor tweeted on his Twitter account.
"Sincerest condolences on the passing of Mpok Nori, our Betawi artist. Best prayers from us."
Mpok Nori started her career in Betawi performing arts as a masked dancer who performed from one village to the next.
Born on Aug. 10, 1930, Mpok Nori later joined the Sanggar Setia lenong troupe, which was owned by the late Bokir, another leading Betawi performing artist.
Joining the troupe was the start of Mpok Nori's popularity as she earned a reputation as a lenong player and performed on various TV shows. Her acting in Pepesan Kosong helped her popularity soar.
Mpok Nori established her own performing arts troupe, called Sinorai, which has more than 50 students learning the skills of performing arts. (nvn)
You might also like :
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent