Police bust prostitution ring in Kalibata City
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police arrested members of a prostitution ring operating out of the Kalibata City apartments in East Jakarta on Saturday after discovering that the group had been attracting customers through Twitter.
Head of Jakarta Police's children and women protection division Comr. Rita Iriana said on Sunday that the police had expanded their investigation into the online prostitution ring, efforts which led them to the apartments where the sexual transactions were being carried out.
"They operate online. We had to enter the site first," said Rita as quoted by kompas.com.
An undercover officer contacted the organizer through BlackBerry messenger to set up a transaction and received photos of dozens of the available sex workers.
After selecting one, the customer was then told to wait in the basement of one of the apartment towers before checking into one of the rooms.
"The pimp would bring the booked sex worker in a room that had been prepared," Rita said.
Six workers originating from Bandung, Bogor and Depok, West Java, as well as from Jakarta, have been arrested, including a six-month pregnant 14-year-old, according to Rita.
The pimp recruited the girls through social media.
"They were only given one-day off every week," said Rita. (ren)(++++)
You might also like :
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Here comes Bui Squad: Palu inmates help earthquake, tsunami survivors
- Dark side of K-pop: The East Light leader claims years of abuse
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- Saudi Arabia deployed Twitter army against critics: NY Times
- US mulls revoking recognition of transgender people: Report