Can't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsCan't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsThe Indonesian Military (TNI) revealed on Monday that it had deployed four warships and one Casa aircraft to prevent migrants from Bangladesh and Myanmar from entering Indonesiaâs territory
he Indonesian Military (TNI) revealed on Monday that it had deployed four warships and one Casa aircraft to prevent migrants from Bangladesh and Myanmar from entering Indonesia's territory.
'Our warships are conducting patrols off the north coast of Sumatra now. The area used to be guarded by one warship, but we've added more ships for the purpose,' TNI spokesperson Maj.Gen Fuad Basya told reporters in Jakarta.
He said the TNI was carrying out its duty to secure the country from any threats by land, air or sea.
'We urge fishermen not to actively pick up the migrants and bring them to our area. If they are in the area already, we will hand them over to the Foreign Ministry,' Fuad said.
Last week, as many as 1,200 boat people entered Indonesia on fishing boats. Many of them are now in a temporary shelter in Langsa, East Aceh.
The TNI claimed that there was a new motive behind the flood of boat people into Indonesia, and the government should be careful in addressing the issue. (nan/ren)(+++)
Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.
Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!
Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.