Activist stabbed to death
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Environmental activist Jopi Peranginangin has died after being stabbed during an altercation outside a nightclub in Kemang, South Jakarta, early on Saturday.
Jopi was known as being an activist for various causes, having been a member of the environmental group Sawit Watch, a 1998 reform era activist, a former member of the leftist People's Democratic Party (PRD) and one of President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo's volunteers during his presidential election campaign in 2014.
A witness, identified only as MF, stated he was with Jopi and six other friends in the Venue bar in Kemang at 4 a.m., when the bar announced it was closing. 'Some men then came and said: finish, out out! They looked drunk,' said MF at the South Jakarta Police station, on Saturday, as quoted by kompas.com.
One of Jopi's friends, identified only as A, agreed to leave but was met with hostility by one of the men. Jopi tried to mediate but became involved in the fight instead. Several men were seen beating him in the parking lot in front of the nearby office of the Habibie Center. When his friends came to his assistance, they found that Jopi had been stabbed.
Jopi was rushed to the Pertamina Central Hospital (RSPP), before being pronounced dead at 6 a.m. on Saturday.
The South Jakarta Police are investigating the case and have questioned four witnesses. They are also examining CCTV footage from the bar.
South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Wahyu Hadiningrat said the police did not yet have any motive for the killing.
It is unclear whether the incident was related to Jopi's activism.
You might also like :
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- US centers force migrant children to take drugs -lawsuit
- Traveler forgets father at rest stop upon return from Lebaran holiday