Activist stabbed to death
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Environmental activist Jopi Peranginangin has died after being stabbed during an altercation outside a nightclub in Kemang, South Jakarta, early on Saturday.
Jopi was known as being an activist for various causes, having been a member of the environmental group Sawit Watch, a 1998 reform era activist, a former member of the leftist People's Democratic Party (PRD) and one of President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo's volunteers during his presidential election campaign in 2014.
A witness, identified only as MF, stated he was with Jopi and six other friends in the Venue bar in Kemang at 4 a.m., when the bar announced it was closing. 'Some men then came and said: finish, out out! They looked drunk,' said MF at the South Jakarta Police station, on Saturday, as quoted by kompas.com.
One of Jopi's friends, identified only as A, agreed to leave but was met with hostility by one of the men. Jopi tried to mediate but became involved in the fight instead. Several men were seen beating him in the parking lot in front of the nearby office of the Habibie Center. When his friends came to his assistance, they found that Jopi had been stabbed.
Jopi was rushed to the Pertamina Central Hospital (RSPP), before being pronounced dead at 6 a.m. on Saturday.
The South Jakarta Police are investigating the case and have questioned four witnesses. They are also examining CCTV footage from the bar.
South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Wahyu Hadiningrat said the police did not yet have any motive for the killing.
It is unclear whether the incident was related to Jopi's activism.
You might also like :
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Google launches special features for Asian Games 2018
- Cricket hero Imran Khan sworn in as Pakistan PM
- National Folk Museum of Korea to bring ‘mobile museums’ to Asian Games
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi opens Asian Games in dazzling ceremony
- Asian Games: Japanese athletes, officials comfortable staying in athletes villag...
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program