Activist stabbed to death
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Environmental activist Jopi Peranginangin has died after being stabbed during an altercation outside a nightclub in Kemang, South Jakarta, early on Saturday.
Jopi was known as being an activist for various causes, having been a member of the environmental group Sawit Watch, a 1998 reform era activist, a former member of the leftist People's Democratic Party (PRD) and one of President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo's volunteers during his presidential election campaign in 2014.
A witness, identified only as MF, stated he was with Jopi and six other friends in the Venue bar in Kemang at 4 a.m., when the bar announced it was closing. 'Some men then came and said: finish, out out! They looked drunk,' said MF at the South Jakarta Police station, on Saturday, as quoted by kompas.com.
One of Jopi's friends, identified only as A, agreed to leave but was met with hostility by one of the men. Jopi tried to mediate but became involved in the fight instead. Several men were seen beating him in the parking lot in front of the nearby office of the Habibie Center. When his friends came to his assistance, they found that Jopi had been stabbed.
Jopi was rushed to the Pertamina Central Hospital (RSPP), before being pronounced dead at 6 a.m. on Saturday.
The South Jakarta Police are investigating the case and have questioned four witnesses. They are also examining CCTV footage from the bar.
South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Wahyu Hadiningrat said the police did not yet have any motive for the killing.
It is unclear whether the incident was related to Jopi's activism.
You might also like :
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Saudi Arabia's foreign minister to visit Indonesia
- Latest list of Michelin stars in Seoul released
- In China's Catholic heartland, Vatican deal brings Communist Party closer
- The other side of Korea: Art, food and history
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Teen arrested for alleged rape of young earthquake survivor