President donates Rp 6b for Sinabung refugees
The Jakarta Post
President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo has handed over Rp 6 billion (US$450,000) worth humanitarian aid for victims of Mount Sinabung's eruptions.
National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) chairman Syamsul Ma'arif handed over President Jokowi's assistance directly to Karo regent Terkelin Brahmana in Kabanjahe, Karo regency, North Sumatra, on Tuesday.
Syamsul said the President's assistance would be used to meet the basic needs of Sinabung refugees in Karo.
'The government doesn't stand still with the current condition of local residents living in areas near Sinabung. We don't know when Mt. Sinabung's eruptions will be over. The government will continue to help them, however,' he said.
Based on Karo administration data, the number of Sinabung eruption refugees has reached 10,470 people. The refugees, who come from 10 villages within the Mt. Sinabung danger zone, are being accommodated in 10 evacuation posts.
Syamsul said BNPB had provided Rp 141.2 billion worth of assistance to the Karo administration and Sinabung residents since the volcano first erupted in September 2013. (ebf)(++++)
You might also like :
- Bali mynah conservation project gets international support
- Real Madrid depth keeps rare double alive
- SuperCamp Bali to offer learning beyond the classroom
- Report, reshape and reconnect: How journalism saves itself
- Five lush accommodations across Indonesia for millennial travelers
- Curug Cipamingkis offers tourists fresh forest atmosphere
- Mourinho blasts 'not human' United schedule
- Jakarta Social Agency website hacked
- 'Godfather' cast members reunite at New York film fest
- Yogyakarta Police prepare 2,000 personnel to guard May Day