Defense Ministry permits polygamy
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Defense Ministry spokesman Brig. Gen. Jundan Eko Bintoro confirmed in a letter that circulated among their employees that the ministry allows polygamy.
'[The rules allowing polygamy] have been in effect since July 22,' Jundan said as quoted by tempo.co on Friday.
The letter contains the ministry's regulation on marriage and divorce for its employees, signed by secretary-general Brig. Gen. Sumardi.
The letter of notice mentioned a rule that states male civil servants in the Defense Ministry are allowed to have multiple wives. The women, however, are not allowed to have multiple husbands.
'Read it [the letter of notice] thoroughly. Even though we allow it, the requirements are not easy to fulfill,' Jundan added.
The rules stated that all employees, both men and women, are only permitted to have one husband or wife. However, there is a following rule that states the exception for men; it says that a man can have multiple wives if it is not against his religion, and he must fulfill at least one of the additional requirements.
The additional requirements for permission include situations in which the first wife is no longer able to fulfill her duty as a wife, contracts an acute sickness or physical disability or is unable to produce offspring.
Also, the male who wishes to be polygamous must present written consent from his wife, and have enough income to support multiple wives by presenting his income tax report. He must also make a written statement promising to treat the family fairly.
'If any violation of these rules are to be found, we will investigate ' he can be fired,' said Jundan. (rad/kes)(+++)
You might also like :
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- Jokowi won't grant Nuril amnesty
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- AirAsia to move international operations to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 2
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Nissan’s Ghosn arrested over financial law violation
- Palm oil industry calls on govt to take 'firm' action against Greenpeace
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world