Push for Indonesian to be AEC's main language
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Culture and Elementary and Secondary Education Ministry has prepared to make the Indonesian Language the main language of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), an official says.
'We have taken a number of steps like communicating with Indonesians living abroad through Indonesian embassies and consulates. [Also,] we will offer Indonesian lessons for foreigners wanting to work in Indonesia,' said the ministry's inspectorate general Daryanto as quoted by tribunnews.com in Jakarta on Tuesday.
According to the official, Indonesian deserves to become the major language of the AEC because Indonesia will be the center of economic development within the group of 10 Southeast Asian countries.
Daryanto said that the Indonesian government has arranged to have many Indonesian language teachers in Indonesian embassies [around Southeast Asia] and his ministry will intensify its cooperation with the Indonesian diaspora.
With a population of more than 250 million, Indonesia is the largest country among ASEAN members. The AEC is scheduled to start in December. (BBN)(++++)
You might also like :
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown: Report
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- 5 wall shelf design ideas for small spaces
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu