Push for Indonesian to be AEC's main language
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Culture and Elementary and Secondary Education Ministry has prepared to make the Indonesian Language the main language of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), an official says.
'We have taken a number of steps like communicating with Indonesians living abroad through Indonesian embassies and consulates. [Also,] we will offer Indonesian lessons for foreigners wanting to work in Indonesia,' said the ministry's inspectorate general Daryanto as quoted by tribunnews.com in Jakarta on Tuesday.
According to the official, Indonesian deserves to become the major language of the AEC because Indonesia will be the center of economic development within the group of 10 Southeast Asian countries.
Daryanto said that the Indonesian government has arranged to have many Indonesian language teachers in Indonesian embassies [around Southeast Asia] and his ministry will intensify its cooperation with the Indonesian diaspora.
With a population of more than 250 million, Indonesia is the largest country among ASEAN members. The AEC is scheduled to start in December. (BBN)(++++)
You might also like :
- Jokowi accused of promoting secularism
- Human or not? Mysterious figure caught on camera in Aceh sparks internet frenzy
- Indonesia to be world's 4th largest economy by 2045: Jokowi
- Nokia Android phones targeted for global release
- Indonesia lodges complaint with WTO over US biodiesel anti-dumping duties
- Tax office to scrutinize rich Indonesians not taking part in tax amnesty
- Ngurah Rai International Airport to halt operations for 24 hours to observe Day of Silence
- Non-subsidized electricity prices won’t increase
- Tech startup Koltiva expands assistance to coffee, oil palm farmers
- Quality of West Kalimantan airport questioned following ceiling collapse