Push for Indonesian to be AEC's main language
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Culture and Elementary and Secondary Education Ministry has prepared to make the Indonesian Language the main language of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), an official says.
'We have taken a number of steps like communicating with Indonesians living abroad through Indonesian embassies and consulates. [Also,] we will offer Indonesian lessons for foreigners wanting to work in Indonesia,' said the ministry's inspectorate general Daryanto as quoted by tribunnews.com in Jakarta on Tuesday.
According to the official, Indonesian deserves to become the major language of the AEC because Indonesia will be the center of economic development within the group of 10 Southeast Asian countries.
Daryanto said that the Indonesian government has arranged to have many Indonesian language teachers in Indonesian embassies [around Southeast Asia] and his ministry will intensify its cooperation with the Indonesian diaspora.
With a population of more than 250 million, Indonesia is the largest country among ASEAN members. The AEC is scheduled to start in December. (BBN)(++++)
You might also like :
- Ahok, sex, and a ghost story of democracy
- BREAKING NEWS: Explosions hit East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Eyewitness hears "two explosions" erupt in East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- Chaos erupts after suspected bomb blasts strike Kampung Melayu bus terminal
- BREAKING NEWS: Police say explosions a suicide bombing
- Portrait of Myanmar's 'Buddhist Bin Laden' chills Cannes
- #PrayForJakarta, #KamiTidakTakut trend worldwide following bomb blast
- Officers hit by suicide bomb guarding pre-Ramadhan parade: Police
- Ahok resigns as Jakarta governor