Push for Indonesian to be AEC's main language
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Culture and Elementary and Secondary Education Ministry has prepared to make the Indonesian Language the main language of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), an official says.
'We have taken a number of steps like communicating with Indonesians living abroad through Indonesian embassies and consulates. [Also,] we will offer Indonesian lessons for foreigners wanting to work in Indonesia,' said the ministry's inspectorate general Daryanto as quoted by tribunnews.com in Jakarta on Tuesday.
According to the official, Indonesian deserves to become the major language of the AEC because Indonesia will be the center of economic development within the group of 10 Southeast Asian countries.
Daryanto said that the Indonesian government has arranged to have many Indonesian language teachers in Indonesian embassies [around Southeast Asia] and his ministry will intensify its cooperation with the Indonesian diaspora.
With a population of more than 250 million, Indonesia is the largest country among ASEAN members. The AEC is scheduled to start in December. (BBN)(++++)
You might also like :
- Obama’s Bali trip includes museum visit, rice terraces, rafting adventure
- 7-Eleven loses steam due to alcohol ban, tight margin: Business group
- Medan attack perpetrators want to steal weapons for next terrorist operations: Police
- Jokowi enjoys 'mudik' to Surakarta for Idul Fitri
- As maids enjoy 'mudik,' Greater Jakarta families stay at hotels
- Pakistan marks grim Eid after oil tanker inferno kills 153
- Medan Police attackers linked to IS: Police
- Do not return on weekend, toll road operator tells Jakartans
- Men mugged with lighter in Bekasi
- Jokowi praised for meeting with opposition Muslim organization during Idul Fitri