Lapindo mudflow compensation to be finalized in September
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo promised on Tuesday that the government would finalize compensation for victims of the Lapindo mudflow by the end of September.
Jokowi said that the Rp 767 billion (US$54.5 million) compensation fund would be disbursed from the state budget and had been approved by the House of Representatives.
'My target is for it all to be paid by the end of September,' he said, as quoted by Antara news agency.
The President also expressed hope that all related stakeholders could work together to complete the administrative process for the compensation payments.
'I have said to ministers and to the head of Sidoarjo Mudflow Handling Agency (BPLS) and to the governor and the regent, do not postpone the payment,' Jokowi said.
Jokowi also called on Sidoarjo residents to spend the money wisely.
'Each family will receive an average of Rp 300 million. That's a large amount. Please do not spend it all on consumptive things. Use it for something useful,' he said. (edn/ika)(++++)
You might also like :
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Muslim inmates fed pork during Ramadhan: Activists
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- BREAKING: Indonesia passes stronger antiterrorism law
- Costly holiday
- Indonesia shakes off nerves for Thomas Cup semifinal against China
- Government is representation of God on earth: State Palace official