Lapindo mudflow compensation to be finalized in September
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo promised on Tuesday that the government would finalize compensation for victims of the Lapindo mudflow by the end of September.
Jokowi said that the Rp 767 billion (US$54.5 million) compensation fund would be disbursed from the state budget and had been approved by the House of Representatives.
'My target is for it all to be paid by the end of September,' he said, as quoted by Antara news agency.
The President also expressed hope that all related stakeholders could work together to complete the administrative process for the compensation payments.
'I have said to ministers and to the head of Sidoarjo Mudflow Handling Agency (BPLS) and to the governor and the regent, do not postpone the payment,' Jokowi said.
Jokowi also called on Sidoarjo residents to spend the money wisely.
'Each family will receive an average of Rp 300 million. That's a large amount. Please do not spend it all on consumptive things. Use it for something useful,' he said. (edn/ika)(++++)
You might also like :
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Canadian killed, American wounded in Mexico shooting
- Pilgrims descend on Mecca for 'smart haj'
- Chinese plane slides off Manila airport runway in heavy rain
- Yazidi 'ex-sex slave' trapped both in Iraq and in German exile
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world