Lapindo mudflow compensation to be finalized in September
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo promised on Tuesday that the government would finalize compensation for victims of the Lapindo mudflow by the end of September.
Jokowi said that the Rp 767 billion (US$54.5 million) compensation fund would be disbursed from the state budget and had been approved by the House of Representatives.
'My target is for it all to be paid by the end of September,' he said, as quoted by Antara news agency.
The President also expressed hope that all related stakeholders could work together to complete the administrative process for the compensation payments.
'I have said to ministers and to the head of Sidoarjo Mudflow Handling Agency (BPLS) and to the governor and the regent, do not postpone the payment,' Jokowi said.
Jokowi also called on Sidoarjo residents to spend the money wisely.
'Each family will receive an average of Rp 300 million. That's a large amount. Please do not spend it all on consumptive things. Use it for something useful,' he said. (edn/ika)(++++)
You might also like :
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- IMF chief postpones Middle East trip with Saudi stop
- For the sake of integrity
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Fan Bingbing spotted for first time in months, outside Beijing airport
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- A year of Anies Baswedan
- Indonesia warns against Australia’s possible embassy move to Jerusalem