ASEAN to have common driving license
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The ASEAN regional forum mulls over issuing international driving licenses that will be valid in each of the 10 member countries, an official stated on Wednesday.
The Transportation Ministry's director general for land transportation, Santosa Eddy Wibowo, said the common driving license was aimed at facilitating cross border transport between ASEAN member countries.
"[The license] will be for all citizens of ASEAN countries. It will be an international standard license at the ASEAN level," Santosa said as quoted by tempo.co.
He further said that in Indonesia, the document will be bilingual, in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
"It is our obligation now to translate [the existing Indonesian driving license forms] into English," he said, adding that the same would go for the KIR (vehicle road worthiness test) certificate. "But we should first consult the police."
The ASEAN forum held its meeting on Aug. 24-28 in Yogyakarta.
You might also like :
- Jokowi accused of promoting secularism
- Human or not? Mysterious figure caught on camera in Aceh sparks internet frenzy
- Indonesia to be world's 4th largest economy by 2045: Jokowi
- Nokia Android phones targeted for global release
- Indonesia lodges complaint with WTO over US biodiesel anti-dumping duties
- Tax office to scrutinize rich Indonesians not taking part in tax amnesty
- Ngurah Rai International Airport to halt operations for 24 hours to observe Day of Silence
- Non-subsidized electricity prices won’t increase
- Tech startup Koltiva expands assistance to coffee, oil palm farmers
- Quality of West Kalimantan airport questioned following ceiling collapse