Island in focus: Two alleged lesbians arrested in Aceh
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Wilayatul Hisbah (Sharia Police) have apprehended two young women for allegedly being a lesbian couple after the two were seen sitting and hugging in a public space in the capital city of Aceh province.
The Sharia Police's legislation and Islamic law execution division head Evendi A. Latief said the women, identified as AS, 18, from Makassar and N, 19, from Banda Aceh, were arrested when the police were patrolling in the Ulee Lheue area of Banda Aceh on Monday.
'They were sitting and hugging. We suspected that they were lesbians,' Evendi said on Tuesday, adding that the two were still currently detained at a Sharia Police station.
He said the police had been trying to contact the women's parents but were as yet unsuccessful.
Meanwhile, AS rejected the accusation that she was a lesbian, saying that she was on vacation in Aceh and planned to go to Sabang, but beforehand she had decided to first meet with her friend, N. 'I want to go to Sabang. I met my friend first, N. N knows my father [too],' AS said.
You might also like :
- Jokowi orders police to gun down foreign drug traffickers
- Bumi subsidiary to gain big from NFC deal: Analyst
- Justin Bieber's Indonesia concert rumors heat up following media reports
- Indonesia condemns Israeli crackdown on holy mosque
- Pertamina pledges firm actions against ‘recalcitrant’ LPG distributors
- Private investors called on to help supply electricity to villages
- High-tech mystery: Is a Facebook phone in the works?
- Waste bank gives Cengkareng residents extra income
- Dali's trademark moustache intact at '10 past 10'
- Cruise company to offer trips to Makassar, Semarang