Island in focus: Two alleged lesbians arrested in Aceh
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Wilayatul Hisbah (Sharia Police) have apprehended two young women for allegedly being a lesbian couple after the two were seen sitting and hugging in a public space in the capital city of Aceh province.
The Sharia Police's legislation and Islamic law execution division head Evendi A. Latief said the women, identified as AS, 18, from Makassar and N, 19, from Banda Aceh, were arrested when the police were patrolling in the Ulee Lheue area of Banda Aceh on Monday.
'They were sitting and hugging. We suspected that they were lesbians,' Evendi said on Tuesday, adding that the two were still currently detained at a Sharia Police station.
He said the police had been trying to contact the women's parents but were as yet unsuccessful.
Meanwhile, AS rejected the accusation that she was a lesbian, saying that she was on vacation in Aceh and planned to go to Sabang, but beforehand she had decided to first meet with her friend, N. 'I want to go to Sabang. I met my friend first, N. N knows my father [too],' AS said.
You might also like :
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Modi talks tough on separatists after meeting Trudeau
- Dangdut legend Elvi Sukaesih set to receive police summons for her children’s alleged drug abuse