Island in focus: Two alleged lesbians arrested in Aceh
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Wilayatul Hisbah (Sharia Police) have apprehended two young women for allegedly being a lesbian couple after the two were seen sitting and hugging in a public space in the capital city of Aceh province.
The Sharia Police's legislation and Islamic law execution division head Evendi A. Latief said the women, identified as AS, 18, from Makassar and N, 19, from Banda Aceh, were arrested when the police were patrolling in the Ulee Lheue area of Banda Aceh on Monday.
'They were sitting and hugging. We suspected that they were lesbians,' Evendi said on Tuesday, adding that the two were still currently detained at a Sharia Police station.
He said the police had been trying to contact the women's parents but were as yet unsuccessful.
Meanwhile, AS rejected the accusation that she was a lesbian, saying that she was on vacation in Aceh and planned to go to Sabang, but beforehand she had decided to first meet with her friend, N. 'I want to go to Sabang. I met my friend first, N. N knows my father [too],' AS said.
You might also like :
- Tight security prepared for King Salman’s visit to Bali
- Whale shark dead after being caught up in trawl
- Four must-watch films about North Korea
- Lawmakers to learn about counterterrorism legislation in UK, US
- Jokowi, Turnbull start day with relaxed morning walk around Royal Botanical Gardens
- Indonesia, Australia want peaceful resolution in settling regional disputes
- Six killed in Central Java bus plunge
- House prepares for King Salman's visit
- Kim Jong Nam died within 20 minutes of poisoning: Malaysia
- Divers collect waste in waters around Pramuka Island