Greater Jakarta: Kineforum screens films on 1965 tragedy
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
In commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the 1965 communist purge, the Jakarta Art Council's (DKJ) Kineforum will screen 30 films, themed 'Memori dan Suara yang Terpinggirkan' (Memories and Marginalized Voices), throughout October.
The feature films include Garin Nugroho's Puisi Tak Terkuburkan (Unburiable Poetry), Riri Riza's Gie, Ifa Isfansyah's Sang Penari (The Dancer), Andre Vitchek's Terlena: Breaking of a Nation, Robert Lemelson's 40 Years of Silence: Indonesian Tragedy, Maj Wechselmann's The Women and the Generals and Joshua Oppenheimer's The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence.
Other films to be screened include compilations of short movies, including Hafiz Rancajale's Menggali Buaya (Digging the Crocodile), Andrew Dananjaya's R.I. and Lexy Junior Rambadeta's Mass Grave.
'We created the program to help the public understand how the human rights tragedy occurred in 1965,' Kineforum manager Alexander Matius said in a press release made available to The Jakarta Post on Thursday.
He hoped the program would trigger discussion on the tragedy, an event rarely talked about in public.
Alexander said that the program, a continuation of the #50tahun1965 program that ended in September, would focus on reconciliation.
'After the New Order collapsed, information on the discrimination and violence in 1965 to 1966 was revealed. One of the mediums used to unearth this information was film,' he said.
According to Alexander, a discussion of the events would be held on Oct. 24 at 5 p.m. The complete schedule can be accessed through kineforum.org.
You might also like :
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport