National scene: House Speaker skips second ethics grilling
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The House of Representatives' Ethics Committee (MKD) has lambasted House Speaker Setya Novanto and Deputy Speaker Fadli Zon for skipping a second summons on Monday regarding their alleged breach of ethics in attending US presidential hopeful Donald Trump's campaign on the sidelines of a state visit to New York in September.
'This is their second absence and we consider their reasons for skipping the questioning to be baseless,' MKD deputy chairman Junimart Girsang told The Jakarta Post.
Setya claimed to have had another official event to attend on Monday despite previously agreeing to be questioned on Oct.12, said Junimart, adding that Fadli had defied the summons by saying that he had not been told on what accusations he was going to be questioned.
Junimart added that if the two House leaders were absent from the third questioning planned for Oct.19, then the MKD would go ahead issuing a verdict in the case without hearing their defense.
You might also like :
- Indonesian court rejects petition to outlaw premarital, gay sex
- BTS’ ‘DNA’ enters Billboard’s 100 Best Songs of 2017
- Bali still safe for tourists: Governor
- Indonesia under threat of deviant sexual practices: IPB professor
- Court ruling on extramarital, gay sex draws mixed reactions from netizens
- Quebec probes ban on women at construction sites near mosques
- Indonesia's asbestos 'time bomb'
- Pertamina to upgrade 3 refineries for processing sour crude oil
- City council building façade bulges out causing closure of footpath
- Pertamina plans expansion into renewable energy