Fadli Zon appointed acting House speaker
The Jakarta Post
Lawmaker Fadli Zon was appointed acting House of Representatives speaker on Friday, following the resignation of Setya Novanto on Wednesday, when the House's ethic council was to make a ruling on Setya for alleged misconduct.
The decision to appoint Fadli was made during a House leadership meeting on Friday.
"During the House leadership meeting, I was appointed acting House speaker," Fadli said, adding that based on a prevailing regulation, if the House speaker resigned, an acting speaker should be appointed.
He was referring to Article 87 of the Legislative Institutions ( MD3 ) Law, which stipulates that if a House speaker cannot carry out his duty, one of the deputy speakers should be appointed acting House speaker until a new speaker is elected.
Meanwhile, the Golkar Party executive board decided to appoint Golkar Party House faction chairman Ade Komaruddin to replace Setya, while Setya was appointed to replace Ade as the faction chairman. The MD3 Law stipulates that in the event of a House speaker resigning, the replacement should come from the same party.
According to Fadli, Ade will likely be sworn in as House speaker next month when the House resumes it sitting period. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent