Jokowi's time capsule praised
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Papua Governor Lukas Enembe has praised President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo's time capsule, which contains his dreams and hopes for the people of Indonesia, saying that what was listed as the dreams of Indonesian youths, including those in Papua, must come true by 2085, the year the capsule would be opened.
'We hope that before 2085, all areas across Papua, including West Papua, are connected by highways,' Enembe said while accompanying President Jokowi during his visit to Papua on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Papua Legislative Council Speaker Yunus Wonda appreciated President Jokowi's attention toward Papua. The President, he said, had visited Papua twice this year and paid close attention to infrastructure development in the area.
'We hope Cabinet members of Pak Jokowi's administration can understand what the President expects in the development in Papua,' said Wonda.
Hundreds of residents warmly welcomed the President with the traditional dances of indigenous tribes in southern Papua when he arrived at the Hasanabsai field in Merauke on Wednesday. After the welcoming ceremony, the President took the opportunity to take selfies with Merauke residents who had waited for him along the road.
The time capsule, which was launched at kilometer zero in Sabang, Aceh, in October, traveled across 187 cities and 34 provinces before arriving in Merauke, Papua. The time capsule will be opened in 2085, 70 years from now.
President Jokowi wrote seven hopes on a piece of paper that was then put inside the time capsule. Two elementary school students from Merauke, Louis Ferdinand and Laher Fabiola, read out the seven hopes written on the paper before they, together with Jokowi, put the paper inside the capsule in a ceremony on Wednesday. The time capsule was then placed in a location marked with a monument at Hasanabsai field. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Lake Toba to hold Gowes Samosir cycling event
- Karetan Market partners with waste management startup company
- Celebrity Fitri Carlina endorses Wonderful Indonesia, Banyuwangi tourism
- Block porn or be blocked, Indonesia warns Google, Twitter
- Tourism Ministry, KBRI promote five Indonesian destinations in Thailand
- West Papua to host Senja Kaimana Festival 2017
- Facebook launches new ‘Facebook Creator’ app for video content creators
- Karetan Market holds vlog competition for visitors
- East Java to host Situbondo Carnival
- Apple pushes back release of HomePod speaker to 2018