Jokowi sees in New Year in Raja Ampat
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo witnessed the first sunrise of 2016 at the Waiwo Beach dock in Raja Ampat, West Papua, on Friday.
Antara news agency reported that Jokowi walked out onto the dock at about 6:15 a.m. local time before the sun had completely risen.
Seeing the beauty of Raja Ampat, Jokowi said that he wanted more tourists to visit Indonesia.
Wearing a white shirt and sarong without sandals, he sat on the dock and fed the fish below.
West Papua Governor Abraham Oktavianus Ataruri, Raja Ampat Regent Markus Wanma and several other officials accompanied him.
Jokowi and First Lady Iriana arrived in Papua on Tuesday. The First Family planned to see in the new year in the country's easternmost province.
Jokowi also inaugurated several projects in Papua and installed a time capsule in Merauke that contained dreams for the country from 2015 to 2085.
Prior to New Year's Eve, Jokowi visited a grouper fish farm in Raja Ampat on Thursday afternoon.
The local administration pioneered a grouper fish farm by providing spawn for local fishermen. Raja Ampat regency hopes to export the fish to China and Hong Kong. (rin)
You might also like :
- Chris Hemsworth is done with being Thor ‘contractually’ after fourth movie
- Indonesia to auction 43 oil and gas blocks by March
- Australian Open: Tantrums, trolls and temperature tumbles
- Prime Mum-ister: New Zealand PM says she's having a baby
- House to set up team to monitor rice import policy
- Here's what Celine Dion's Diamond ticket will give you
- Booby-trapped messaging apps used for spying: researchers
- 9 TED Talks to help you through your quarter-life crisis
- Government to slash subsidy for railway pioneer routes
- Indonesia, Bangladesh kick off pre-trade talks