Jokowi sees in New Year in Raja Ampat
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo witnessed the first sunrise of 2016 at the Waiwo Beach dock in Raja Ampat, West Papua, on Friday.
Antara news agency reported that Jokowi walked out onto the dock at about 6:15 a.m. local time before the sun had completely risen.
Seeing the beauty of Raja Ampat, Jokowi said that he wanted more tourists to visit Indonesia.
Wearing a white shirt and sarong without sandals, he sat on the dock and fed the fish below.
West Papua Governor Abraham Oktavianus Ataruri, Raja Ampat Regent Markus Wanma and several other officials accompanied him.
Jokowi and First Lady Iriana arrived in Papua on Tuesday. The First Family planned to see in the new year in the country's easternmost province.
Jokowi also inaugurated several projects in Papua and installed a time capsule in Merauke that contained dreams for the country from 2015 to 2085.
Prior to New Year's Eve, Jokowi visited a grouper fish farm in Raja Ampat on Thursday afternoon.
The local administration pioneered a grouper fish farm by providing spawn for local fishermen. Raja Ampat regency hopes to export the fish to China and Hong Kong. (rin)
You might also like :
- Soekarno-Hatta Airport to implement cashless transactions for parking
- Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung
- Entrepreneur wants to put Indonesia on the world technology map
- 'Super malaria' spreading through SE Asia, poses global threat
- Bill Gates expresses regret over ‘Control+Alt+Delete’ button
- Tourism minister officiates new diving center in Tanjung Lesung
- Court dismisses KPK’s objection in Setya’s pretrial hearing
- Car Free Day ineffective in reducing air pollution: Committee
- Violence cases against women, children in Jambi increased: Official
- Supermodel reunion at blockbuster Versace tribute in Milan