Soeharto-era community patrols to be reactivated
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration plans to reactivate the New Order legacy of community patrols, known as siskamling, in a bid to help prevent terrorism by curbing the development of terrorist cells in neighborhoods.
Jakarta Deputy Governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat said the siskamling -- a security system created in 1981 -- would be stipulated in regulations along with bolstered obligations to report any temporary visitors staying in a neighborhood more than two days.
"The siskamling system must be reactivated to prevent any attempts of terrorism, because it may happen anywhere. The terrorist may be in your neighborhood," he said in Jakarta on Friday.
If necessary, he added, he would issue an official letter to reactivate the volunteer neighborhood watch.
Siskamling are organized at the level of neighborhood units (RT) and community units (RW). Each family must send a representative to join the patrol in a group consisting of three or more persons, based on a collectively agreed schedule. (ags)
You might also like :
- Myanmar complies with int’l recommendations on Rohingya crisis: Suu Kyi
- And now, Indosat website hacked
- Ahok mania spreads far beyond Jakarta
- Rohingya crisis could affect ASEAN stability: Jokowi
- Jokowi, Suu Kyi discuss Rohingya crisis
- Wonderful Indonesia to participate in Malaysia International Dive Expo 2017
- Thousands of workers to join May Day rally in Jakarta
- KPK rebuffs House inquiry
- Jokowi campaigns for peace, stability on Korean Peninsula
- Campaign highlights importance of fish consumption