Soeharto-era community patrols to be reactivated
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration plans to reactivate the New Order legacy of community patrols, known as siskamling, in a bid to help prevent terrorism by curbing the development of terrorist cells in neighborhoods.
Jakarta Deputy Governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat said the siskamling -- a security system created in 1981 -- would be stipulated in regulations along with bolstered obligations to report any temporary visitors staying in a neighborhood more than two days.
"The siskamling system must be reactivated to prevent any attempts of terrorism, because it may happen anywhere. The terrorist may be in your neighborhood," he said in Jakarta on Friday.
If necessary, he added, he would issue an official letter to reactivate the volunteer neighborhood watch.
Siskamling are organized at the level of neighborhood units (RT) and community units (RW). Each family must send a representative to join the patrol in a group consisting of three or more persons, based on a collectively agreed schedule. (ags)
You might also like :
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Child beggar coordinators arrested in Depok
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Rp 1 trillion invested through Bareksa digital investment portal
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- Government, marketplaces team up to encourage SMEs to go online