Australian Federal Police to aid Mirna case
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police have sought the help of the Australian Federal Police (AFP) as part of efforts to uncover the truth behind the suspicious death of Wayan Mirna Salihin, a woman who died after drinking cyanide tainted coffee at a restaurant in Jakarta on Jan. 6.
It is expected that the AFP will supply information about the relations between Mirna and her friends, particularly Jessica Kumala and Hani, as the three had studied together in Australia.
"We have contacted AFP because we need some information," the Jakarta Police general crime division head Sr. Comr. Khrisna Murti said on Wednesday.
Police have not yet named a suspect, but their investigation has, to date, focused on Jessica Kumala. Jessica, Mirna's friend, was with Mirna when she drank the coffee that ended her life. The police questioned Jessica on several occasions and have raided Jessica's house in connection with the murder, but they do not appear to have found sufficient evidence to name her as a suspect.
Jessica has denied involvement in Mirna's death.
Mirna and Jessica reportedly studied together at Billy Blue College of Design Australia and both moved from there to study at Swinburne University of Technology Australia.
Jessica, who ordered the coffee which allegedly killed Mirna, continued to work in Australia following her graduation in 2008, deciding to find a job in Indonesia in December last year.
Police will crosscheck the information from AFP along with the testimony provided by witnesses, Khrisna said.
Apart from questioning Jessica, the police plan to summon Hani for further investigation.
Hani and Jessica were at the cafÃ© with Mirna on the day she died. Jessica arrived early and ordered a sazerac cocktail and a cold Vietnamese coffee. Minutes after, Mirna and Hani arrived at the cafÃ© and Mirna proceeded to drink the coffee. 'It's awful. It's bad,' Mirna had commented. Shortly afterwards, she suffered from convulsions and began to foam at the mouth. She was rushed to the hospital, but died on the way. (bbn)(+)
You might also like :
- Muslims celebrate Islamic New Year to promote tolerance
- Schools facing closure after allowing students to take part in 'gladiator fight': Komnas Anak
- Indonesian FM Retno Marsudi receives UN Agent of Change award
- Auditor arrested for Harley Davidson gift
- iOS 11 Control Center Wi-Fi, Bluetooth shortcuts may be security risk, say experts
- Trump's threat akin to `sound of a dog barking': North Korea
- SOEs urged to accelerate development of Kuala Tanjung industrial park
- Indonesia’s U-16 inch closer to AFC berth after beating Thailand 1-0
- US threatens new sanction on North Korea
- Doctor allows KPK to question Setya Novanto