China likely biggest investor in Indonesia
The Jakarta Post
and not Singapore, is believed to be the biggest foreign investor in
Indonesia, as Chinese investors often invest in other countries through
proxy companies that are based in other countries such as Singapore or
According to the latest investment realization data from the Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM), Singapore is the largest contributor with US$5.9 billion in investment, a 20 percent share of total foreign investment. China was in ninth position with $0.63 billion despite a 47 percent year-on-year (YoY) increase, the highest growth in the history.
"Chinese investment is sometimes conducted through subsidiaries based in another countries. For instance, the investor of Sokonindo Automobile, the manufacturer of mini pickup DFSK is from the Chinese mainland but registered in Hong Kong," BKPM Director Azhar Lubis said in Jakarta.
Unfortunately, he continued, BKPM could not monitor investments made through the proxy countries.
Most of investments coming from China were for smelters, especially in Southern Kalimantan, such as the construction of the first bauxite smelter in Indonesia. Another mega project in which China is providing investment is the high-speed railway between Jakarta and Bandung.
"The high-speed train project will increase the amount of China's investment in Indonesia drastically. There will be a big contribution in the supply chain as joint ventures will produce the train engines, carriages as well as spare parts," BKPM Chief Franky Sibarani said. (ags)(+)
You might also like :
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- What’s in store for final installment of BTS ‘Love Yourself’ saga
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- 'Monster Hunter' on hold as China hits pause on new video games
- Coal production at 37.11 percent of full-year target
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Remote China glacial lake bursts, no casualties
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia considers reducing imports of 500 consumer goods