Indonesia to strengthen economic cooperation with African countries
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
The government will strengthen economic cooperation with African countries, with the aim of exporting more food commodities for Indonesian food factories in that continent.
The Foreign Ministry's Salman Al Farisi said African countries were now a major prospective market for Indonesia in terms of food commodities, since their large populations were looking for affordable food products.
"Families in African countries spend 70 percent of their income on food on average. Thus [increasing exports] is important for us to do," Salman told thejakartapost.com on Monday.
Eyeing the potential market, Indonesian consumer goods giant PT Indofood Sukses Makmur had opened instant noodle factories in Morocco and Kenya, following the first factory in Nigeria that had shown a significant success, Salman said.
The expansion meant Indonesia would increase its exports of raw food commodities to supply the factories, since African people's daily consumption of Indonesian instant noodles was twice of that of Indonesian themselves, Salman said.
According to Salman, Indonesia's exports to African countries surpassed US$10 billion per year, with 2010 to 2014's exports, particularly to Nigeria and South Africa, jumping by more than 10 percent each year.
Furthermore, during the economic slowdown in 2015 when the trend of global trade slackened, trade with African countries actually increased, thus showing that Indonesia should intensely keep an eye on the African market, Salman said.
"We will further boost our potential by strengthening our exports to African countries," Salman added. (dan)
- Police plane crashes in Riau Islands waters, 13 feared dead
- Susi receives honorary degree from Undip
- Indonesia sees more local Warren Buffett-style investors
- Agus promises Chinese-Indonesians he will uphold unity in Jakarta
- Discovering the land of 1,001 coffee shops
- Rally ends on cautious note
- Police show strong response despite rally running peacefully
- Anti-Jokowi figures charged with treason
- Treason suspects intended to mobilize mass to occupy House: Police
- RI allots Rp2t budget to lure investment in border areas