Total solar eclipse to be broadcast live
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The rare phenomenon of a total solar eclipse on March 9 will be broadcast live by the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) at http://media.bmkg.go.id/live.bmkg.
BMKG head Andi Eka Sakya said the agency would provide video streaming and conduct observations at its 179 stations throughout the archipelago.
"We will also conduct observations in locations that cannot view the total solar eclipse to make comparisons as well as scientific research on the effect of gravity and the earth's magnetic field," Andi said in Jakarta on Thursday as quoted by Antara news agency.
A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the earth and the sun, totally or partly obscuring the sun from earth. A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon's apparent diameter is larger than the sun's, blocking all direct sunlight and turning day into darkness.
Andi said the total eclipse would be visible in 11 provinces: Bengkulu, South Sumatra, Jambi, Bangka Belitung, West Kalimantan, Central Kalimantan, South Kalimantan, East Kalimantan, West Sulawesi, Central Sulawesi and North Maluku.
According to a report by tempo.co on Friday, Balikpapan would view the shortest total eclipse, of one minute and nine seconds, while the longest, which will last for two minutes and 50 seconds, would occur in Luwuk, Central Sulawesi.
Meanwhile, Jakarta and Bali are among 11 cities that will be able to view a partial solar eclipse. Other places include Banjarmasin in South Kalimantan, Manado in North Sulawesi, Padang in West Sumatra, Pontianak in West Kalimantan, Bandung in West Java, Makassar in South Sulawesi, Ambon in Maluku, Surabaya in East Java and Kupang. (kes)
You might also like :
- World Bank lauds Indonesia’s fiscal framework
- Political, polygamy messages take center stage in some Idul Fitri speeches
- Sri Mulyani marks Idul Fitri with slip of tongue
- MPR speaker entertains guests with political jokes, conversation
- Indonesia condemns Mecca suicide bomb attempt
- Messi's gritty hometown braces for a glam wedding
- Jakarta Cathedral cancels three morning masses for Idul Fitri prayer
- Locals thrilled to share Idul Fitri with Jokowi's mother
- Krakatau Steel aims to reach break-even point in 2017
- Semarang archbishop visits Idul Fitri revelers, conveys greeting from Vatican