National scene: Pope Francis to visit Indonesia in 2017
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Pope Francis will visit Indonesia in 2017 to attend the Asian Youth Day organized by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese Semarang, Central Java, an official has said.
'Pope Francis plans to visit Indonesia in July 2017, coinciding with the Asian Youth Day when Indonesia serves as the host,' Indonesian ambassador to Vatican Antonius Agus Sriyono said as quoted by Antara.
Agus, a former deputy at the Office of the Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister, said young Catholic from across Asia would participate in Asian Youth Day.
Earlier this week, Pope Francis paid a visit to Mexico during which he urged Mexico's young people to resist the lure of easy money from dealing drugs.
Francis brought a message of hope to Mexico's next generation during a youth pep rally in Morelia, capital of Michoacan state, a major methamphetamine production hub and drug-trafficking route.
In January, Pope Francis sent a prayer for the victims of that month's terrorist attack in Indonesia. The pope said of the victims: 'May the Lord welcome them into his house.'
You might also like :
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Modi talks tough on separatists after meeting Trudeau
- Dangdut legend Elvi Sukaesih set to receive police summons for her children’s alleged drug abuse