National scene: Pope Francis to visit Indonesia in 2017
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Pope Francis will visit Indonesia in 2017 to attend the Asian Youth Day organized by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese Semarang, Central Java, an official has said.
'Pope Francis plans to visit Indonesia in July 2017, coinciding with the Asian Youth Day when Indonesia serves as the host,' Indonesian ambassador to Vatican Antonius Agus Sriyono said as quoted by Antara.
Agus, a former deputy at the Office of the Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister, said young Catholic from across Asia would participate in Asian Youth Day.
Earlier this week, Pope Francis paid a visit to Mexico during which he urged Mexico's young people to resist the lure of easy money from dealing drugs.
Francis brought a message of hope to Mexico's next generation during a youth pep rally in Morelia, capital of Michoacan state, a major methamphetamine production hub and drug-trafficking route.
In January, Pope Francis sent a prayer for the victims of that month's terrorist attack in Indonesia. The pope said of the victims: 'May the Lord welcome them into his house.'
- Two foreign tourists die in motorcycle accident in Bali
- Man accused of charging illegal fees to former East Timor residents
- Hong Kong to lure tourists with food festival
- LPG explosion in Pizza Hut outlet destroys four buildings
- EU supports development of Lake Toba tourism
- Govt urged to pay more attention to farmers' welfare
- Jokowi's achievements need closer scrutiny: Indef
- AT&T buying HBO and CNN owner Time Warner for $85.4 billion
- Victory in sight, Clinton still grapples with negative views
- Attacks on the internet keep getting bigger and nastier