Tumblr to be blocked in Indonesia due to pornography, LGBT content: Govt
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
The government announced a plan on Wednesday to block microblogging and social networking website Tumblr in Indonesia because of explicit content such as pornography as well as material referencing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) relationships.
The Communications and Information Ministry's e-business director Azhar Hasyim said his office had sent a statement to Tumblr, saying the website would be blocked in Indonesia until it agreed to remove explicit content. The move was in accordance with the 2008 Pornography Law, he added.
"If Tumblr then agrees to block pornography and LGBT content from being accessed in Indonesia, we will open [access to] the website again," Azhar told thejakartapost.com.
The decision to block the site was made during a meeting on Tuesday, where a panel overseeing negative internet content, focusing on pornography, found that 477 sites, including Tumblr, contained pornographic videos featuring heterosexual relationships as well as LGBT couples, he said.
Based in New York City, Tumblr was founded by David Karp in 2007 before being bought by Yahoo for US$1.1 billion in 2013. The site is known for drawing a young hipster audience with its diverse and unique content, which is considered quite different to other blogging sites.
Tumblr has yet to make any official statement regarding the issue.
You might also like :
- Tight security prepared for King Salman’s visit to Bali
- Four must-watch films about North Korea
- Whale shark dead after being caught up in trawl
- Lawmakers to learn about counterterrorism legislation in UK, US
- Jokowi, Turnbull start day with relaxed morning walk around Royal Botanical Gardens
- Six killed in Central Java bus plunge
- House prepares for King Salman's visit
- Indonesia, Australia want peaceful resolution in settling regional disputes
- Divers collect waste in waters around Pramuka Island
- Kim Jong Nam died within 20 minutes of poisoning: Malaysia