18 people caned in Aceh for gambling, dating and consuming liquor
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Banda Aceh Prosecutor's Office held a public caning on Tuesday to punish 18 people for having violated Aceh's Islamic bylaws, locally known as Qanun.
The 10 convicts who had been caught gambling received a sentence of eight strokes, previously reduced by two strokes due to a detention period, six convicts received 40 strokes for consuming liquor and two were punished for dating. The latter two, a 21-year old and a 19-year old, both university students, received 10 strokes after a two strokes reduction had been granted due to a period of detention.
The convicts had all been accused of violating articles listed in the Qanun, as issued in 2014, Antara news agency reported.
Punishments were applied across all regions of Aceh, said Banda Aceh Mayor Illiza Saaduddin Djamal
"This punishment is a form of learning. People who witness the caning should be encouraged not to commit the same crime as those who have been found guilty of violating Islamic sharia," Illiza said.
During the public punishment, Illiza told students who had been waiting to view the caning to go back to school, allowing them to return to watch if their teacher met with her first and only if their teacher stayed to accompany them.
Both the police and Public Order Agency officers guarded the public caning centered at Musala Gampong Rukoh complex, Syiah Kuala District, Banda Aceh.
Among the onlookers were Illiza, Banda Aceh Prosecutor's Office head Husni Thamrin, Banda Aceh city administration officials, and thousands of other local residents. (afr/bbn)(+)
You might also like :
- Ahok faces threats in Cipinang prison: Warden
- Two Bali foreign inmates caught in Timor Leste
- Prosecutors in e-ID case demand former Home Ministry officials be jailed
- Batam, Yokohama to collaborate in urban development projects
- How embargo affects Qatar investment in Indonesia
- Bank Indonesia sets chip technology standard for ATMs, debit cards
- Facebook gets Indonesia nod for local unit
- Most crimes in Jakarta committed by youngsters: Research
- East Jakarta robbery gang well managed: Police
- Beijing's new mega airport will challenge Air China's dominance