Public warned as fires destroy 700 ha of forest, plantations in Riau
Rizal Harahap and Severianus Endi
The Jakarta Post
The general public were warned about the possibility of massive forest and land fires on Monday, after fires ravaged a total 700 ha in Meranti Islands regency, Riau province, over the past three months.
Acting head of the Meranti Islands Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) M. Edy Afrizal, said the worst fires occurred in March, during which over 500 ha were burned.
“All nine district...
- Hawaii shark bite victim previously attacked by bear, snake
- SBY instructs Roy Suryo to shun media
- Introducing Indonesian coffee through ‘Ngopi Sore’ in Washington DC
- Sumatran tiger captured after 100 days of hunting
- Lafleur '82 magnums fetch more than $12,000 each at Sotheby's
- EDITORIAL: Bending the car culture
- Avicii death a coming-of-age in electronic music boom
- Saudi drafts drone regulation after security alarm
- Tiket.com eyes 250 percent growth in ticket, tour package sales
- Toddler breaks leg in escalator accident in Bengkulu