Ignorance may lead to the demise of industry
The Jakarta Post
Under the sun: Workers dry batik cloth in the traditional way.(Courtesy of Muchamad Ali Jufri)Many Indonesians cannot distinguish genuine batik from textiles with batik motifs, a problem that has resulted in a stagnant batik industry despite government claims that sales of batik are growing rapidly at home and abroad.
This ignorance is not found exclusively among the masses.
- Father-son duo arrested over alleged drug dealing
- China vows to protect interests as US eyes trade sanctions
- Wu's fans skip Chinese New Year for NBA All Star celebrity game
- Italy's country doctor making house calls on horseback
- Vatican revives pope's sexual abuse panel
- India, Iran agree to step up efforts to help Afghanistan
- Indonesia mulls ban on maids to Malaysia
- Pakistan child killer handed four death sentences
- East Java targets to vaccinate 10m following diphtheria outbreak
- Adelina’s family demands compensation